Phantom I Dynamo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » Phantom I Dynamo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Hawkes
Yet to post message
Username: 100hc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2012 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Help! According to the Amp gauge the dynamo on 100HC (1925) is consistently pumping out around 15 amps, surely this isn't right! Is there a method of adjusting the output from the dynamo back to the recommended range of 4 to 7 Amps?

David Fairbrother
New User
Username: davidf

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2012 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont know much about early Dynamo's but following is an article from a Flying lady magazine which may help.

"Generator Output Adjustment
The output is controlled by a third brush arrangment on the rear end cover of the generator, ie. the commutator end. Should adjustment be necessary it should be carried out in the following manner.
Disconnect pipe from oil drip plug. (This is absolutely necessary)

Loosen four nuts on cover and loosen dust cover.

To increase output, turn cover clockwise, or to decrease, turn anti-clockwise.

After adjustments are made tighten nuts again, hook up oildrip plug and tighten dust cover.

Adjustments should be necessitated only in cases such as continual driving in the city in winter, when the battery tends to become discharged.

Under no conditions should the generator output be altered when cold. It is very important that the generator be set hot."

Hope this helps
David

Jim Hawkes
New User
Username: 100hc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 12 January, 2012 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to all of you that responded, both on-line and off, for your help and advice. Not resolved the issue of charging at over 10 amps but now know how to manage it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: