Phantom 11 Head Overhaul Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » Phantom 11 Head Overhaul « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Morgan
New User
Username: rrnut

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone have a recommendation for an engineering shop for the overhaul of a Phantom 11 aluminium head. A fair amount of work is required to make the head serviceable.

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, 19 August, 2009 - 06:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where are you?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Wednesday, 19 August, 2009 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you are in Sydney, you may try Con's Performance Centre, 753 The Horsley Drv Smithfield 2164 phone (02) 9609 6333 or (02) 9609 6148. I assume that the firm is still there. I have had two R-Type alloy heads extensively repaired for cracks and corrosion by Cons. They have also manufactured valve guides (aluminium bronze) and spark plug inserts (magnesium bronse) and the like for me. They do proper dynamic balancing, CNC work an lots more. Their work is second to none.

I also see a mobile reference at the same address. It may be the same mob, but if not they will know:

Accurate Dynamic Balancing
753 The Horsley Drive
SMITHFIELD NSW 2164
0408 646647

Peter Morgan
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2009 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou for your information, I will contact them. I'm on the Central Coast of NSW. Recently acquired XJ29..Phantom 11 and have started the long process of getting it back onto the road. Was cruising ebay the other night and noted sister car for sale in Europe...exactly the same body and fitments and serial no XJ28.

David Fairbrother
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 121.208.210.241
Posted on Wednesday, 09 September, 2009 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have one being repaired in Brisbane at the moment. It is being done by a local head repair shop and they seem to know exactly what is required and they have done some of it although it is taking a while. Probably my fault for telling them I was in no hurry. They are a very busy head shop and the owner is doing the work on it himself. It requires quite a lot of building up around the water jacket holes and some repair to the hot spot cross over pipe. After that they are going to treat it with a Loctite process that forces a chemical into the cast alloy under pressure to fill all the voids and porous areas and then it is cooked to turn the chemical solid. They assure me that it will outlast me so we will see.
I have also had new valves for it made by a Brisbane company and these were made with oversize stems to counter any guide wear. These are beautiful, almost too good to use. The same company will be building up and regrinding the cam for me as they have done P11 cams before. I already have had them regrind the face of the rocker arms. The car is chassis 65GX

(Message approved by david_gore)

Peter Morgan
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 10 May, 2010 - 15:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well thankyou to those fellow phantoms who responded to my pleas for help. Since then I have had the work done in Newcastle and as it transpires it appears that the 29XJ head for this particular car was a factory modification for a very short run and as a consequence the valve guides are slightly different to those "normal" ones. All that has now been sorted with the only remaining obstacle being the valve collets. Ristes quote $40 per pair ($480 per head ) which seems a bit $$$$. As the use of second hand ones seem limited does anyone have these collets that they would like to part with albeit at a price.

David Fairbrother
New User
Username: davidf

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 10 May, 2010 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

Good to hear you are progressing.
Fiennes Restoration have new P2 valve collets for £6.81 each. Part number:GAD220

http://www.fiennes.co.uk/Parts/Catalogue/G/GA

David

Peter Morgan
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 11 May, 2010 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks David, that's an additional source I didn't have. Once the collets arrive I hope to install the head and see if the old girl runs. Having acquired the car last year its been a case of assessing what needs to be done and developing a plan of action. The head was first. Out of interest I was recently contacted by the son of the original chauffeur who has since forwarded to me the original guarantee document, photos, hand written book from the chauffeur school, the original handbooks and the original magneto tools. Quite a surprise and a real delight to receive. Thanks for the help, I may be in need of more. Regards Peter.

Peter Morgan
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 24 May, 2010 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, looks like the head is now ready to pick up which created some discussion on coolants and the compatibility of modern corrosion inhibitors....there was some real concern that some may even be harmful to the engine. It was strongly suggested that some research was mandatory before any action was taken. It was also suggested that soluable oil as used in the period may be an option. Not being into any chemical analysis any info would be appreciated. Regards Peter.

David Fairbrother
New User
Username: davidf

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 25 May, 2010 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

This is something I have thought about but as my P2 is still some time from getting on the road I have not done much about it. I have read in various magazines that the water should be checked for any electrical discharge as this will destroy aluminium parts in very quick time.
I have thought about using the Penrite product in some of my other "toys" but as yet have done nothing about it. I am sure there will be others on the forum with a lot more practical experience in our type of climate where there is no need for anti freeze or anti boil.

David

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/Classic%20Car%20Coolant%20MAR%202010.pdf

http://www.norosion.com/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: