New citroen Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » New citroen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2020 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

New Citroen type G

It undoubtedly won'y be avilable in the USA which is too bad because I would buy one and I hate vans.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2020 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chacun à son goût. I think the thing is hideous (and the original concept was, too). It was a box on wheels long before a box on wheels was trendy (which it seems to be these days).

I've lusted after Citroëns in the past, the Metropolis concept (see here) in particular. I also love the DS.

But we in the USA do not have to concern ourselves with Citroën, Renault, or Peugeot. And only the last two of those three were ever sold here.

Brian

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2020 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Ross, it looks like a Volkswagen "Thing" from the early seventies that needs to go on a serious calorie reduced diet.

I'm not into new cars, but the Metropolis is acceptable.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2020 - 16:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
strange to hear you say this. I bought a 1969 Citroen ID19 from an auction in Texas. The car is a USA spec car which is immediately seen when you note the style of the headlights.
I have also seen Renault and Peugeot cars offered for sale in the USA

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2020 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

It does look exactly like a VW thing van. That's why I like it.

I am of the opinion with all the wind tunnel styled cars these days any manufacturer who bothers to style a car body will earn my purchase.

The last French car I saw in the states was a 505 back in the 90's.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 01:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yikes just love the corrugated body, really stiff and no droning of the panels.
Just have to re-introduce the hyperactive suspension then a perfect work horse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

If Citroën was ever sold in the USA it was well "before my time." I was all of 7 years old in 1969. And after checking just now it appears that the last one officially sold on the North American continent by a Citroën dealer was in 1974 and all afterward were grey market conversions (of which there were precious few). See: http://frenchcarsinamerica.over-blog.com/2014/01/the-last-citro%C3%ABn-sold-in-the-usa-canada.html among others.

I believe you misread my final sentence with regard to Renault and Peugeot, both of which were, at one time, sold in the USA but neither of which have been in some years now. Peugeot disappeared before Renault did, but both are now not sold in the US market.

I have seen the very rare Citroën in the USA, but in the hands of collectors who purchased overseas and somehow brought them into the country. They definitely have not been for sale here in decades (plural).

Brian

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Another car I can't buy in the states. That suspension looks pretty great. Have you ridden in one of those?

Brian,

My wife and I were in Boston with a couple of parisian bakers who saw it from across the street and immediately looked at each other and said in unison cinq cent cinq!

I saw a early 70's Eldorado in Florence once and I must have been just as excited seeing a little bit of home out of nowhere.

I cannot even imagine what that cost to tax and feed on the continent. (And where do you park it in Florence)

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a1858686/1983-wisconsin-built-renault-alliance-future-automobile/

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

One of the nails in the coffin of AMC! (And it was far from the only one, but the Alliance was a crappy car). Renault never had any significant success in the US car market, even before the Alliance, which I think they hoped would burnish their image, too.

I came from an AMC family, and in fact my mother's uncle was an AMC dealer. We had an early 1960-something Rambler, a 1969 Javelin, and a 1975 Gremlin. By the time the Alliance made its debut we were no longer "an AMC family" and actually had a GM X-car (1980 Buick Skylark) at the time.

Brian

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While the topic is French vehicles:-

Has anyone else on this forum got a Citroen CX?

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 23:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross I have two C6s and so far are the most comfortable handling car that I own, one with Amvar one without.

Alan.
Yes I have two.

Last one to used every day towing in business and pleasure, did 350000+ miles.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Saturday, 26 September, 2020 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used to have CX Prestiges and a CX Pallas. I also had two SMs and 2 BXs.
I currently have an ID19

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, a trip with the running Fergie to see what else is still above ground in the hedge rows.
Forgot about this one so I have one DS saloon and one Safari.

Forgot about this 2CV for spares

Still have a BX passing away peacefully!

And the other CX.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3792
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

One thing that has intrigued me from the beginning is how you managed to acquire so many "treasures" and why some have ended up in hedgerows like those in the above post.

I am certain other contributors to our forum would also be interested in what will be the fate of these vehicles after you retrieve them from their resting places.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I recently told someone I was down to 10 cars, then they reminded me of one I forgot to count, then as I was retelling the story to another friend, he reminded me of another car I have.

I have to stop telling that story before I am reminded of even more cars.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 19:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
I love your taste in cars. Every car you have shown us is one that makes me take a sharp breath. Love them all.

Dear David,
Yes you are spot on. We would be interested to know what will be their fate.

Dear Ross,
I had to go through a cull when I agreed with the wife that I was going to buy my Phantom. I went down from 30 something cars to 20 something. My ideal number would be 16 I think.
My next purchase will be a Mercedes 600 - although right now it is just a dream.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3793
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2020 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

As I understand it, the MB 600 is often described as "Der Grosser" [The Big One] for good reason.

You might have to contemplate additional garage space although I suspect the Phantom may have some objections to sharing space with the German "interloper"!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2020 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, the cars are just a few that I ran or caught my eye over the years as old PX exchange vehicles and dealers doing deals with myself at the many evening car auctions that i attended.

Some were the result of the customer offering the vehicle after carrying out years of servicing and repairs to them.
I just kept them or some of them! what memories.

Then there are some of the ones that I ran from the sixties no one wanted them due to being out of production.
Loved the complicated types to get stuck into and make them fly.

Lucky that my profession was also one of my hobbies.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Tuesday, 29 September, 2020 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And not forgetting to have a good Accountant.
Just remembered the Vehicles in the museums!!!

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2020 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, an Accountant getting an accolade ! That is something we rarely get in the Profession!
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: