Multimeters and Madness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Multimeters and Madness « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Friday, 21 February, 2020 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More musings from Vladimir:

"My last multimeter croaked and I have a new one arriving today IF our deranged postman does not break down again or put the parcel in wrong postbox again but often.

The postman has begged me three times to fix 5th gear on his newly acquired Toyota 4wd. He informed me it would be an easy fix "just remove the transfer case and refit the circlip, it's an easy job and I will buy you a carton for it..." Naturally I gave him the number of another mechanic....nothing worse than a fool telling a mechanic how to fix something.

Looking for multimeters on the net prices range from 12 to 1000s of AUD and I think I spotted a nice one for $15,000...

I bought one for $200.

The Mad Scot who loves money and not spending it says $40 max.

I could have bought a $12 one but decided to spend $200 and not ask where it was made....

Have I been fleeced again?...only time will tell."

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 688
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Were you , mine were 2 for £5 and outlasted my £200 by years lol

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just recommissioned my Avo. because i can now buy the batteries for it.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, is that the smaller 1.5 volt battery for a Model 8 MkIII? If so can you tell me the part number and where you got it? Thanks.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Jim Walters
Frequent User

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for the typo that should read 15 volts.

www.bristolmotors.com

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jim,
this is where i got it from...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVO-8-MK-V-METER-MULTIMETER-15v-BATTERY-BLR-121-AVOMETER/401676406852?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Jim Walters
Frequent User

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar, I just ordered one.

www.bristolmotors.com

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have little faith in digital multi meters, particularly for measuring resistances under 20 Ω.
For that I still use an anchient analogue one which of course has an Ω adjustment .
Even worse are the auto ranging ones which flip all over the place from µV to MV , AC to DC with gay abandon.
I find a test lamp, or buzzer a far more useful device particularly when you can clip one end to a ground or power wire and it dose not make a wrinkled rats rectum to the results.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2020 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Appears that the OHM symbol is not in the character set so the weird word above is ohms

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2020 - 13:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

When did you last check the internal battery in your digital multimeter?

I have found digital multimeters have problems with reading resistance if the battery is old and subject to voltage drop once current is required for a test as this confuses the digital display no end.

I always test mine with a known good wire-wound old-fashioned resistor before taking resistance measurements - checks the accuracy of the meter and gives a correction factor if needed and a replacement new battery is not available.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2020 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use these things for a living, buy a Fluke model 87 or above, if you buy used they almost give them away, they have an analog bar graph as well as fast auto ranging, the min/max functions will find intermittent faults in no time. All other meters are garbage in my experience

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2020 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good old fashioned AVO is my idea of a meter.
Interestingly a few of my mates call me Ohms.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2020 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

Autoranging on cheap meters is a total hot mess especially with the meter leads open. A Fluke or similar quality unit will not do this.

One thing I have really grown to rely on is clamp on ac/dc current reading. It really helps speed up some diagnoses'. For instance a slow window with high amps through the motor is different than a slow window with low amps going through the motor. Clamps are mostly used for AC so make sure yours does DC measurement as well for cars.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 644
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2020 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used to have a Simpson 260, the Simpson is a wonderful old unit and replaced it a long time ago with a Fluke.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2020 - 03:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seeing the mention of Simpson meters reminded me - I've got:-

Analogue stuff:
2 x Simpson 260
1 x AVO 8
1 x AVO 48A
1 x AC clamp-meter with V, I and R scales (needs some TLC).

Digital stuff:
1 x Thurlby 6-digit multimeter (probably needs calibrating to get the 6th digit to be meaningful)
2 x LCR meters (1 high-class, 1 not)
1 x Fluke 8020A DMM (antique but reliable - so far)
1 x Draper Automotive Meter with V/I/R scales + Dwell, RPM etc
3 x Cheapo multimeters which live in the car tool-kits
2 x Cheapo multimeters for day-to-day use around the workshop/garage.

Plus:-
1 x Hameg 30MHz 2-channel analogue oscilloscope, which is the one I use most because I know how it works and what it does, and it has some useful extras,
1 x Rigol 40MHz(??) 4-channel digital storage 'scope which is miraculous but I have to read the instruction book before each time I use it,
1 x Picoscope USB/PC software 'scope, rarely used but convenient if I have a lap-top with me in the middle of a ploughed field.

But I can still only look at one reading at a time.

Who's next?

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2020 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.S. to the above post.

The list was made when I realised that there were lots of things that rarely get used. It is a wake-up call to get rid of some of this stuff before whatever it is that might happen...........

Alan D.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2020 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good idea Alan, there's also the possibility that you could forget that you have them or where you stored them!

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, 22 September, 2020 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I keep a DSO 201 nano in my tool kit.

Which is good because I needed to test a strain gauge amplifier this evening and just had my tool kit.

I soldered a 350 OHM membrane strain gauge to the amp then glued it to part of an old phone with CA.

Thwack the the plastic bit with a pen and presto strain reading.

The DSO 201 nano is useful enough to warrent a pocket in the tool kit, but is not the eaisest interface to use without dedicated hard dials and buttons.

When I originally got it I checked it against an unclaibrated Tektronics 2465 we have at work and it was accurate enough.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, 22 September, 2020 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You blokes have left me for dead.
Electronics is not my forte
Thanks for the heads up on the Fluke
Being that I do mobile repairs , cheap has always been a deciding factor for what is in one of the 3 mobile kits.
Cheap & small
Only last week I was deep into what remained of the wiring on a Dixie Chopper ( ZTR Mower ) when it suddenly cranked and the fans on the hydros grabbed one of the meter leads
Exit one Jay Car multimeter
From the day Lithium 9V batteries came out that is what went in my meters so battery levels should never be a problem.
The real PIA is repeatidly having to reset the meter to 0-99 V after it auto shuts down .
Lots of times I need to be reading 3 or more places simultaneously due to You Tube morons continually posting how to defeat safety switches causing mower companies to continually change the circuitry with out publishing the changes.

Hugh Robinson
Yet to post message
Username: hughr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not being the owner of anything made in Derby, Crew or Goodwood, I am very much just a spectator on this site but I can comment on this subject.

I agree with Martin’s opinion of Fluke. My business had probably ten Fluke meters, mostly model 87 ranging from the 87II to 87V. The oldest had spent 25 years in a tool box traveling throughout the Americas without giving any trouble and passing recalibration each year.

They have all gone now with the business when I retired but I have in my personal kit a Tektronix TX 1, a Fluke bench meter and two AVO Model 8.

A note for Omar and Jim. The 15 volt battery in the AVO meters are used only for the highest ohms setting. The meter works well on all other functions with only the D-cell. But thanks for the lead on a source of new BLR-121 batteries.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2020 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are most welcome Hugh.
And you are also most welcome to be part of our group regardless of whether you have a Bentley or a Rolls-Royce.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Monday, 28 September, 2020 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hugh,

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/littleton-1979-silver-shadow-ii-rolls/7197980334.html

Hugh Robinson
New User
Username: hughr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 29 September, 2020 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the tip Ross. An interesting Shadow and possibly an attractive price but I think there is much to be done to re-commission it. However, I am in Canada and the Canada/US border remains firmly closed.

Not sure that I am in the market to purchase a RR or B just now. I play with aeroplanes but perhaps should have something else to do in the event that I reach a time when the doctors tell me I am no longer airworthy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: