Bonneville Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Bonneville « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 865
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2018 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will soon be working on a donated 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650.

If anyone is familiar with the foibles of the breed, please let me know.

I am guessing no surprises, but it never hurts to ask.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2018 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross you will enjoy many hours of strengthening your right leg muscle starting it, the bike will leak oil, and if it breaks down your will get to know how light it is pushing it home.

However, it will be another great British adventure for you.

Also, don't consider being on it when its hot and having a sexual encounter as a deceased mate of mine tried back in the 70s as the combination of the weight of the bike and the heat of the exhaust when it falls over will result in a very nasty inner calf burn!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2018 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

That sounds like the mini.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2018 - 02:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, my 1969 BSA Rocket 3

Bikes

Foibles? Vlad covered most of them. Just don't forget to tickle the carbs before starting. Best of luck. It looks complete.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2018 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely bikes gents.
I love bikes and always wanted to have a classic British bike. So one day i bought one and could not wait to ride it. I rode the bike for all of 7 minutes and then sold it.
I never knew that the pedals are back to front on British bikes. I could not get used to learning that major difference.
I only have Japanese bikes now.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 867
Posted on Wednesday, 10 October, 2018 - 12:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Both great looking bikes. I kind of don't think the Triumph will clean up like that!

I forgot to mention the ticklers moved. That's a good sign.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, 11 October, 2018 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, one evening while riding the BSA, a cop started to follow me. Being dark and riding a British bike, reading the speedo was neer impossible (dim light you know). When the cop finally stopped me, as I knew he would, it wasn't for speeding. He couldn't figure out if I was shifting with the right foot. He said he had never seen such. So while I thought I was in trouble, he just wanted to chat and look over the bike.

I gave the Triumph to my brother in law last summer.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, 11 October, 2018 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crikey Mark you must really like the brother in law.

I had a mate who had a BSA. His name was Rat. His head looked rodent and he was missing his peter pointer finger which he lost in a work accident.

However, he kept his finger in a jar of phenol I think to preserve it. Now when we had a party, Rat's entertainment consisted of:

1. Removing his preserved finger from the jar and sneaking up to the most prettiest girl at the party and stroking her on the back of the neck.

Thereupon, she would turn around to find Rat holding his preserved finger. I don't have the writing skills to actually explain the horror and humour connected with the actions of the Rat.

2. His second prank would be to get as drunk as a skunk and as high Mount Everest, hop on the BSA and crash it.

Thereupon, Rat used to return to the mines where he was a cook, save up money and get the BSA repaired and thereupon repeat acts one and two above.

And he did not do this just twice. Last time I heard about Rat, there was only one territory in the whole of Australia where he did not have a warrant out for his arrest.

Indeed I had a 1942 WLA Harley all black and chrome and original with the gearstick on the fuel tank and the suicide clutch. Just what the Americans where smoking when they made that model I don't know but I am thinking it was a cross between Peyote and Coyote.

My second bike which I thrashed mercilessly was a very hotted up Kawasaki GPZ 900. Indeed, I woke up in a sweat one morning after obviously a night of craziness and sold the bike. That was 20 years ago and I have not ridden since.

I have become sensible with age and that is why I am presently looking at not only modified 1000 hp C5 Corvettes in the USA but also, the lastest Corvette - yes 210 mph - yummy.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 870
Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2018 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://youtu.be/mF0gRi49OyM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: