One for Omar Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » One for Omar « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, 10 August, 2018 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is an interesting read. I like that the rental company is responsible for the speeding fines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/british-man-racks-up-dollar45000-in-speeding-tickets-in-3-hours-in-lamborghini-huracan/ar-BBLCN9i?ocid=spartandhp

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 01:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just cannot work out why Dubai has so many unjust weird laws.

In Mount Coolon I can hit 120 mph in a 35 mph zone and I can do that blasting a revolver out the window.

In fact nobody would notice.

Just the other day I heard a shotgun blast.

Did I call Washington and ask for a special investigation? No!

The closer you live to any population anywhere on the planet Antarctica aside, the further South goes Liberty.

When in Dubai, in Lamborghini, never travel below 100 mph and always pull a smoking donut right outside the Police Station.

PS Use two passports with a stick on beard for escape purposes.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad wrote, in part: "The closer you live to any population anywhere on the planet Antarctica aside, the further South goes Liberty."

Er, no. Change that "liberty" to "license" and you've got it right.

Your right to drive your car 100 MPH in a 35 MPH zone rightfully ends when lots of other people are going about their business in that 35 MPH zone. Just another variant on the old, and so true, adage: "Your right to swing your fist ends just before it hits my face."

Brian

Grand Master

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Brian the good thing about my 35 mph road is that there is seldom any other cars on it and there are more unregistered cars on it than registered cars.

I am very careful on the road because most of the drivers are drunk even though the Hotel has a drunks room where if you are that drunk you can't find your steering wheel you can sleep it off in free accommodation.

Now the nearest cop is 116 kilometers away with another 124 kilometers away. I have been here for over eight years and I have seen one cop once and we all think he was either having a relaxing day enjoying the quiet or he was lost.

We all know if a cop is on his way about an hour before he turns up because of truck radios - they light real quick if a cop is seen on any four roads leading to the place.

Of course you would need steel balls to be a cop coming out to grab anybody because as a single cop with one Glock automatic you are no match for a four wheel drive full of drunken cowboys off their heads on Rum, and believe me Brian all those cowboys are always armed.

Any parked car not known to the locals out here and left unattended had a 2 day life expectancy, and then it is riddled with bullet holes and burnt to the ground.

Basically, its a bad ass town and the cops don't want to know about it unless there is a corpse. The last shoot out happened in 1918 when Tom Coolon shot four men dead in broad daylight. Naturally, he got the town named after himself!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 16:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Vlad,
your town sounds like a fun place to be.
That guy going crazy on our roads deserved the fines though. We have lots of people using these roads and there are many families and children who know that they are safe because we do not tolerate people breaking our laws.
The consequence is we have a wonderful safe environment for everyone to enjoy - tourists and residents. As long as everyone behaves and abides by the law we welcome them. Those who don't respect the law are given what they deserve. It is a lovely city to live in.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 17:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar Dubai is constantly getting bad press. Idiots who get in trouble there should have done their research before arriving. I would not even drink alcohol there because its clearly illegal so why risk it.

On the Australian Smart Traveller site there is set out the Laws of Dubai. Its a no brainer.

Obviously that British chap was a bloody fool to go speeding down your highway in a Lambo. If he wanted to go fast he should have used the Autobahn in Germany.

I wonder if the Dubai cops have grabbed him yet. I hazard a guess the people in your government are right onto the matter as we speak. If I was him I would start swimming real fast as I can't imagine a Dubai jail cell would be a party.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah mate - there is no escape for anyone who breaks the law. That is why we all respect it and abide by the law. In all - everyone benefits and the bad boys have nowhere to run.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 00:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad, you have just said, clearly, that you live in a lawless area, for all practical intents and purposes. (And I'm not saying you're lawless).

The behaviors you describe in others are not, to anyone concerned with the real meaning of the term, "liberty," but, as I said earlier, "license."

Though it was not quite so spectacular as your descriptions, the tiny little borough I grew up in was populated by a lot of individuals whose attitude was, "I'll do what I want, and what I want to do I'll get away with," and, for the most part, they were right. That it made the lives of their neighbors anything from mildly annoying to miserable, and often broke multiple laws, was irrelevant.

I learned early on that my rights, your rights, everyone's rights are not absolute except in the abstract. Everyday life is full of negotiations where your rights and mine are in anything from mild to strong conflict, and some "happy medium" must be reached, often where neither side feels happy. This often involves laws, because idiots who won't acknowledge the rights of others can't be punished without them and most are so selfish they're unconcerned about them anyway. But, as in your case and location, if there's no one to enforce them and the local culture is to ignore them, you get what you've got. And your description of what you've got does not sound, "like a fun place to be," to me. But it takes all kinds of people and places to make the world, and we each find our own niche.

Brian, who's quite happy to be a boring and law abiding citizen, even when he's not being watched

Grand Master

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, Brian Mount Coolon is a fun place to be, well for me, anyway.

Put it this way Brian, if say I bought a lottery ticket and I won a 5 million dollar house in Sydney or any other large city in Australia, I would not even travel to Sydney to look at the house. I would simply telephone a real estate agent and instruct them to sell the house and send me the money.

Certainly, if you love Oz wildlife, then this place is perfect. I do have kangaroos jumping over my fences regularly. In the sky there are a minimum of 30 kites (small hawks) circling looking for rodents. Then you have parrots, literally hundreds of them mostly large white Sulphur Created Cookatoos, Pink and Grey Galahs and very large black parrots but also an abundance of multi colored parrots I have never seen elsewhere.

Additionally, we have lots of extremely poisonous snakes and spiders and fast moving centipedes but its rare to encounter them as they keep to themselves. Obviously, if you are nuts enough to go running into the bush with no boots and short pants you won't last long here as you are at least an hour away from a hospital by helicopter.

But a minute from my gate is a bar and 5 minutes walk down the road is a weir and creek teeming with sweet fresh water fish and red claw lobster.

Then you occasionally have dingos (wild dogs). They can't bark but they have a hellish howl that is deadset spooky.Ah yes Brian, dingoes will munch on up attended babies.

Flies and mosquitoes can be annoying unless you cover all your exposed skin with insect repellent.

The weather is perfect here for me 5 months of the year. Minus C. At night up to 30C in the day without cloud cover. But at this time of year its extremely dry and we are still 4 months away from any rain but when the rains come they refil my water tanks in one day and the the entire place turns from dying brown to a vivid green within 48 hours.

In summer in the day the sun is brutal. Leave a spanner/wrench outside in the sun and the pick it up again in half an hour with your bare hand and it will burn your skin off badly.

However, here you are only 2.5 hours from the Pacific Ocean and civilisation - well it would be civilised except for too many people doing crazy things often.

I was once crazy enough to talk to a women from New Hampshire on the internet for two years and then at my expense fly her here. She freaked out totally and was literally screaming " No Vladimir no, this place is desolate, isolated and the end of the earth...".blah blah shrieking like a demented parrot. Obviously Mount Coolon was not for her and I started to think perhaps I should look at a desert woman from Afghanistan but sadly its a tad too dangerous there after the Soviet Union and the USA has shot the place up.

So sadly Brian no women here for old fellows like me but if I was a young chap it would be wild as plenty of pretty cowgirls and European backpackers abound and they are good value except when the Vodka seizes them, then they become freaking nutcases and possibly more dangerous than an Eastern Brown Snake or Taipan.

But you can forget about keeping your Rolls Royce clean as the air is always full of dust. I really have to invest in a car cacoons one day.

The electricity gets cut off for hours at a time about twenty times a year, there is no gas unless you use bottled gas and the phone service disappears regularly. Also, gasoline for cars, well that is at least 116 kilometres away.

We also have many colourful butterflies and about twenty billion grasshoppers rubbing their legs together which puts a perpetual buzz/zing in your skull which never stops.

Certainly Mount Coolon is not Manhattan New York or even Charleston South Carolina and I have lived and worked in both. I thought Charleston SC was stunning apart from the mean racial hatred a lot of white people showed towards the negroes which I found bizarre.

Come on down Brian, I will get you on the rum and then we can go bush and blast away at defenceless critters with high powered handguns! Then we can put Rodger the Rapist Rooster into the pot with a few DropBears and eat a tasty stew!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
We all look forward to Vlad’s instalments, a true Aussie in every sense.
Vlad you need to write a book mate, it would be a best seller.

Now.
Here is an opportunity of a lifetime.

Own a piece of Aussie history, plus you can live near Vlad.

https://www.raywhitecommercial.com/qld/mount-coolon/1757503/

For those who may want to travel to Mt Coolon from the nearest capital city of Brisbane, here are the directions.

Or for when I drive the Shadow to visit Vlad for a beer, here is the Sydney rout.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

A shame you do not sell buses as well as trucks - if you did, I feel a "Magical Mystery Tour to Mount Coolon" using a suitable trade-in would be a sell-out if a "demo drive" was possible!!!!!!

How old is this ad? It would be a shame if your current publican is calling "time" and moving on. The amount of greenery in the video suggests it is not recent due to the current drought.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick that ad about Liz's pub for sale is hilarious to the extreme.It would be a good buy at $750,000 but only if you could deal with lots of drunken crazy people and were ready to take a dive for about half a million. Poor Liz paid way too much for the place and then spent a fortune on it.

And the real estate agent is a lying hound. This place is not doing well, in fact it has been economically stuffed for four years and by that I mean houses in Collinsville 124 kilometres away which once had prices of $250,000 are scraping to get $50,000 and there is very little employment.

I can never quite get over the blatant dishonesty of real estate agents - they really are moral vacuums.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes mate,

Real estate agents, are the used car sales scum we all know & love from time to time.

I like David’s idea.

We all need to get as many people as we can, cars, trucks camper vans, tents anything & everything to support Liz for a week or a weekend.

I’m sure Vlad could organise some tours and site seeing, shooting expeditions and maybe some suitable circle work for our Rolls-Royce when we arrive en mass.

https://i.gifer.com/88px.gif

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I saw mining towns in the Pilbara that thrived before and died after the advent of FIFO [Fly-In/Fly-Out employment for our international members] and, no doubt, the same thing has or will happen to the Central Queensland mining industry.

It started with the North-West Shelf off-shore drilling/production platforms and the iron ore producers quickly saw the cost savings available if they stopped providing on-site accommodation and utilised workers who lived at home in the south and flew in and out according to their roster. It is also possible this resulted in a more stable and productive workforce especially for those who were married and alcohol abuse would have diminished markedly as the off-roster workers were no longer spending all day in drinking sessions [I remember participating in sessions where a "shout" [your turn to buy drinks] was a slab of 24 cans, a typical group was 8 - 10 participants and you didn't dare leave until a full round was completed. The saving grace was your alcohol tolerance was higher in the hot climate so you could drink more before becoming paralytic].

It is my understanding the most profitable Qantas and Virgin domestic routes are those serving the W.A., N.T. and Queensland mining centres for this reason.

Patrick, if this eventuated, it would involve a weekend of activity, a week afterwards to recuperate [i.e. dry out] and Vladimir's reputation would be literally and figuratively "shot to pieces".

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 01:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmm, I would have thought it would have confirmed and burnished Vlad's reputation, but I guess I could be mistaken.

While I love nature in general (poisonous snakes excepted) and members of the parrot family in particular (currently own three and have had umbrella, sulphur crested, and Moluccan cockatoos in the past) it was the reference to what happens to unattended vehicles (other people's property) that gave me pause.

I am quite certain that I would love to visit Mt. Coolon and find it an amazing place. I just don't think I could live there. I'm past the age where I want to live in "the big city" but I grew up in a place that was far less "the middle of nowhere" than Mt. Coolon and would probably be somewhat like the New Hampshire lady, thinking and saying, "this place is desolate, isolated and the end of the earth...," if forced to live there. I require more people around, and more "civilization"/"culture" than locales such as Mt. Coolon can provide.

There's a niche for everyone. Mt. Coolon sounds like a place I'd very much like to visit, even for an extended visit, but I do not think I would be well suited to living there.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
I too would struggle to live there. But Vlad is someone we all want to meet - so one day every one of us will have a plan to visit Mount Coolon - not because its a happening place - but because it is Vlad's home. And in the bargain would be meeting Liz who we now all love.

Dear Vlad,
I lived in Houston for a short period in the 90s but had to leave for the same reasons you cited above. I simply cannot understand how that can happen in such a young country that is actually made up of immigrants. I was on double salary but i jacked it all in and went back home to get away from it. I am told that things are much better now.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad are you in any of the shots in that video?

Grand Master

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Omar I am not in that video.Vlad

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: