Alan Ford's motor bike and side car. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Alan Ford's motor bike and side car. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reverse

Drive side car wheel with an electric motor.

My caravan has two electric motors fitted to the wheels, which rub on the tyres.

Develop that idea a bit further and one could have forward gear as well even a hybrid.

My disability scooter will easily tow a side car but the motor is 24 volt.

BTW one measure of how well a sidecar is set up is low rolling resistant measured using a spring balance

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert N R. Thats the best info I have been given to date, I will get my mate to look into that idea. It would make life easier for me if we can do it. Here are a couple of photo's of the progress we are making.

The sidecar has been fitted but not tuned yet (alignment). We are about to fit some indicators and tail lights. The wheel and hub is off a mini and the disk is attached but I need to buy a caliper, my friend found a nice hand brake lever which should suit it nicely.

I am waiting on a new rear motorcycle tyre and the last job will be a rego inspection. Progress is moving nicely.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

can a flatter car tyre be used at the rear.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 23:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert. The recommended tyre size for my Triumph is 130/80-17. bearing that in mind the tyre I have chosen is:
Pirelli MT 60 130/80-17 M/C 65H TL If you look that up it is a chunky type tyre rather than a sports tyre where cornering would generally be at a higher speed. I didnt check a car tyre for the bike but the sidecar is a small mini size on a minilite rim.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The bike is nice and shiny.

Check out electric conversion kits for push bikes.
There is the type that rubs on the tyre and can be disengaged by a lever. This kit is designed for 26 inch push bike wheels. The smaller mini wheel will gear it down thus giving more torque.
The kit is designed for continuous use where as you will be using it for maybe 10 seconds just to move back a bit.

Cordless drill.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, 26 September, 2017 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the bike is nice and shiny. I paid towards the top end figure for this bike but it has only
22000 k's on it and has been fastidiously looked after.

That conversion kit sounds like it might work, I will take the idea to my friend who is fabricating the extra mounting brackets etc needed. We are now at the wiring stage of indicators, clearance and stop lights etc.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its always best to pay top money for good condition motorcycles with low miles because the cost of getting them good again cost a lot

Heirloom bike.

Saw a Suzuki Bandit 1998 18k miles mint condition 1500 quid a bargain for someone.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, 29 September, 2017 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking forward to seeing the finished product Alan.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 05:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, the combination is not too far away from being finished. The wiring and lights are finished, steering damper fitted and of course it's fully mounted now. We are still searching for a mechanical brake caliper from the rear of an early Mini Minor and I am having a tonneau cover made for the cockpit, after that it's off to rego.
Naturally I will post a couple of pics when it's complete.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 17:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a really amazing job mate.

Congrats.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, 02 October, 2017 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Some of the CJ 750 sidecar guys put a cable off of the rear brake pedal to the sidecar brakes. If that is your plan there might be some good ideas in the pictures archive at Chang Jiang Unlimited. ( or e-mail Dan Crossman directly as he is a top notch fellow)

I never had a sidehack with brakes, but with a full load it would sure be handy!

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, 02 October, 2017 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, The problem is the stub axle and hub are without any brakes at all. The hub has a disc attached but the clearance between it and the top of the 10" wheel is only approx 30mm at best. We cant find any mechanical calipers to fit in such a small area. We cannot change the wheel to a larger one because the mudguard is molded as part of the chair and again it has only about 1" clearance. So I am stuck with an early model mini wheel but cannot find a backing plate nor drum brake to fit. We can't work out if the disc brake ever had a caliper fitted to it at all. I have searched DJP sidecars to see what brakes they ran but can't find a thing.

In the day, the sidecar didnt need brakes but today they do. We are wondering if this is the reason the sidecar was sold due to the problem with the brake....We have checked out caravan, go kart, trailer, small Wilwood calipers and all but as yet no success. It really is cramped for room in behind the wheel. We think a 10" mini drum hub complete might fix the problem but finding one here has become a major task :-)

The search goes on with thinking both inside and outside the 'box' lol
I hope my garbled message is understandable. When I have a good photo of the problem I will post it :-)

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, 02 October, 2017 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are the photo's, they might help?

It's all a very tight fit :-( There must be an answer, we just have to find it.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 03:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe a radial brake caliper with a fabricated mounting, thickness of disc would be another factor to check.
Disc diameter could be turned down.
Pix of a Aprilia caliper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aprilia-RS125-Front-Brake-Caliper-Radial-2006-2010-/192304598086?clk_rvr_id=1325395606199&rmvSB=true

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, what about a larger wheel with a lower profile tyre?That would give you more room behind the wheel. You need to keep the outside diameter of the tyre the same as it is now. Just a 12/13" wheel should work.

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Too bad it is not a live axle then you could use an inboard brake.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the input guys, I will pass the info on to my mate and see if anything suggested here is possible.

I did talk with him early this morning and he seems to believe a 10" mini hub and brakes complete must be around somewhere in somebodys shed.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 13:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/etrailer/AKEBRK-2.html

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am sure you can buy all the bits for Mini brakes from the usual suspects over here, there are several big suppliers, and I agree that would be the easiest way forward.

However, what about using a motorcycle brake caliper on the disc you currently have? M/X and endure bikes have small calipers which are powerful and fabricating a mount 'shouldn't' be too hard?

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David :-) Are they mechanical?

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are mechanical calipers from smaller bikes but most decent bikes do use hydraulics. If it is a purely mechanical set-up you are after, quite a few old Hondas used them on the front brake - CB 125 - 200s etc and if in good order, usually, quite good.

Of course, they were never in 'good order' as the owners (young chaps usually) never brake as they are all riding Gods and speed is everything! I speak as one of the Gods myself ! :-) Try David Silver Spares here in the UK as they usually have all things Honda in stock.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, 05 October, 2017 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

How about go cart caliper brakes?

http://www.bmikarts.com/Mechanical-Brake-Caliper-Arm-on-Side_p_552.html

or golf cart calipers?

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Club_Car_Yamaha_Rear_Disc_Brake_Kit_p/brk-201.htm

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Thursday, 05 October, 2017 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

bike rear brake caliper hydraulic with pedal and master cylinder

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks like I might be onto a mechanical stub axle
and brake from an early mini which we think will be perfect. I am negotiating it now (hopefully) The brake only has to work as a park brake and not an emergency brake. There is no way I want it pulling up the sidecar when I am braking :-)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If only to be used as parking brake then a drum brake will work best.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After much searching and a good bit of luck we came up with this trailer brake caliper. Cost $20.00 new plus postage. It's exactly what we wanted but thought we might not find.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 19:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ideal

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 14:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks RNR yes I believe it will be. It was supposed to arrive last Friday so fingers crossed for Monday/Tuesday. The disk has been removed and cleaned up ready and the bracket is ready to be welded in place.

The park brake lever has been mounted a little higher than most to make it easily accessible for me to save fumbling around. Nearly there.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do the regs say that the parking brake has to be on the side car wheel, a parking brake could be fitted to the bikes rear wheel

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am pretty sure we could have put the park brake on the back wheel somehow but we were never looking at that angle. We knew something had to work on the chair (because it was set up for it once)and when we found that answer we have stuck with it. :-) Just waiting now on the caliper to arrive via Aussie Post.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Which ever wheel is easiest.

An advantage of using side car wheel is that you do have the option of a 3rd brake whilst in motion.

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yahoo! e-brake drifting