One minute you are up then--------- Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » One minute you are up then--------- « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Won £10 on a scratch card. Yay
Lost log book for Jeep cost £25 to replace grr.

Still I get free road tax so I win in the end. Miles this year so far is 350 so I don't wear the roads out, or my tyres.

ross kowalski
Frequent User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 12:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

What's the deal with log books?

Keeping records is totally optional in the states and often completely ignored.

I remember buying one car ever that had records with it. It had a folder with every receipt for the car. I immediately tossed it out.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great win Robert.

Sounds like your on a roll mate.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 14:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross

Two countries divided by a common language. In the UK the car's title is called a log book. It is not in fact a book, just one sheet like a US title. The US tag is called a number plate in the UK, similar to the more formal name of license plate used in the US.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 15:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like our registration papers here in Australia.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 15:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe the UK log book used to be a thin book. It was stamped when ownership changed. The name stayed the same when the system was changed to a single sheet of paper.

ross kowalski
Frequent User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Ah-So the mystery is explained. It must have been like a passport kind of thing originally. interesting.

This reminds me of where I used to live. I used to live on a hill above White Horse beach in Plymouth MA. I would tell people the address and they would look at you funny. Tell them "next to the hotel" they would immediately understand, despite the hotel going out of business decades ago, getting torn down, being replaced by cottages, then those bought out and replaced by high end condos.

Sure "by the hotel" as long as we all know what that means.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 05:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The log book is officially known as V5. The log book shows the registered keeper not the owner which could be different. Generally the logbook is considered as proof of title, but this is enronouis, so when buying cars one has to be careful and check properly.
Normally the reg no or tag stays with the car until vehicle is scrapped. Unless the owner buys a reg number, usually his or hers initials or name such as BOB 1. Probably the most expensive no is A1.
Notice that TU 1800 often appears on Crewe cars for the press. AX 201 is the reg no of THE silver ghost.
My reg no has been changed to ***BRV. Fits Brian Vogel's name.
The U.K. Police are very fussy on no plates and the plates must conform to a certain specification. Some try to use strange fonts and get fined £80.
Cars made before 1975 AND registered as historic vehicles can have white letters on black. After 1975 the plates must be reflective yellow to rear and white to front with the suppliers name in small letters at the bottom.
To buy no plates (£15 -£50 a pair) one has to show proof of identity and the V5.
My car is black and black plates will look good. Also thin stainless surrounds just to break up the line.