Garbo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Garbo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Garbo was a Brit spy in WW2.

Check out this bloke on Wikipedia.

In short he invented 27 German spies that didnt exist and got the Germans to fund it. MI5 and MI6 used the money to fund their operations.

A good true story.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check out what guy, Robert?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And a VW beetle car that was garaged in Bournemouth for them!!! during the war found many years later, it collapsed due to the salt sea air. All funded they say by the war department!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Real name Juan Polal Garcia.

For about the last 20 years I have been studying 1900 to 1945 history and since discovering wiki it has accelerated.

The other day I discovered that the Kriegsmarine (the German Navy) under control by the Royal Navy crewed minesweepers 1945 to 1948. 300 boats and 25,000 German sailors.

Tell me more about the VW.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I discovered the other day that the head of the German spies was a British agent! He got shot when the Germans finally sussed in 43 or 44.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Admiral Canaris was the head of German spies.

he was pro Hitler until Poland got invaded and then he started to pass info to the UK. Canaris knew that it would lead to Germany's downfall.

Canaris used contacts in Spain to pass info via Lisbon.

Canaris wasn't shot he was garroted.

Hilter thought he had 70 plus agents in the UK when in reality they were double agents or didn't really exist. Hence Hitler thought the Allies would strike at Calais not Normandy.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Correction---- Canaris knew Germany would lose the war as soon as it started.

I am trying to read German so I can study the other version of the world wars. Or one war with a 20 year armistice.

Sometimes when I read this stuff I come to a different conclusion from the various authors.

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was close! :-)

I learned German (er, tried to!) so that I could read Herman Hesse as he wrote it instead of someone else's dodgy translation. It took me sooooo long to read the first few chapters I'd forgotten what the first one was all about!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 762
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the story of Churchill flying from England to Moscow during The Great Patriot War to have a chat with Stalin.

Ballsy and really crazy stuff. To fly into a peaceful Russia is one thing but to fly into the Soviet Union while its blasting just about anything that moves, now that is rather different.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, this takes me back to the seventies it may well be a rumour but you may find out the story at the local council.
This what I was told, from memory I was told of a house and garage that had stood empty since the end of the war. I think the area was between the coast road of Southbourne and Hengistbury Head.
The houses were being knocked for redevelopment.
The owners were never found and so title of the house and garage was delt with however.
When the garage was opened up they found a new but very rusty VW beetle with hardly any miles showing.
After much searching the conclusion was that it was bought for the "look out" spying of ships through the channel from the German war dept.
Maybe you could find out if it fact or fiction.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 402
Posted on Sunday, 23 April, 2017 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Few things are more out there than Heddy Lamar inventing some kind of coordinated frequency hopping scheme to allow torpedos to be radio controlled but not jammed.

The work was long forgotten until a fellow from qualcom was researching how to do this for cell phones and discovered the patent.

Go figure the digital dash on your 2017 car is talking to home base with technology invented in 1943 by a bombshell Austrian hollywood actor and player piano repairman.