Teeth! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Teeth! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 01:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure this really the place to discuss this, but what the hey... I had my front tooth knocked out just before Christmas by an over-exuberant puppy with an extremely solid head. It flew, I found it, and stuck it back in the bloody socket with the aid of super glue! This lasted all through the festive break but it was loose and no use whatever for its primary purpose: eating!

So, dentist it had to be. I HATE the dentist with a passion! I was going to have a new tooth implanted but then I found out that it would cost me four thousand pounds, I decided against it! So a denture it would have to be as all that money can be better spent on silly things like Mulliner wing vents for a Bentley...

Finally got my new tooth yesterday after many a mishap on the way and finally, a trip to the dental lab itself to get the rotten thing to fit.

Now, the question: does anyone else on here have a 'falsey' and if so, how long did it take before you could talk eat, drink with this awful thing in your mouth?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave,
I got an infection in the gums which because I have a defective autoimmune system -- Crohns disease--- meant they took all my teeth out. The infection can get to the heart and kill you. I didn't know anything was wrong until they took me to the dental department and told me there was no time like the present and they whipped the lot out.

I adapted to no teeth in days, the only thing is my singing voice has changed for the worst.

I am going to get implants which screw in once my gums have settled down. I find eating with no teeth not difficult. I cut food up into cubes and chew and suck with bare gums.

I miss eating nuts but the rest is fine.

I would say give it a couple of weeks and don't strip insulation from wires which I now can't do or open cellophane bags.

I too hate dentists.

Idler Chatter was invented exactly for this sort of discussion and is about the owners of fine cars not actually the cars.

Ghost visitors read this stuff and realise what normal people we actually are.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob_uk

Did the dentist not offer you dentures whilst waiting for implants?

Geoff

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a few missing top teeth the dentist couldn't save some. Hence I had a denture made up at some considerable cost only to find when I try to wear it it makes me heave. I think it might be called a gag reflex?
I should have asked for the screw in type implants.

When I find a good orthodontist I will take the plate to him and ask him to reduce the depth it goes back in the roof of my mouth. It might make the plate less rigid but if he can grind and reshape the plate back a bit I think it will be fine. Until then I have a toothless gap when I smile and thus I do not smile much at all. Suffice to say I am happy on the inside. hahaha

As it stands right now I am quite embarrassed to meet people.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too am missing a front tooth. Solution - Thailand.

Most OZ dentists say that's a bad idea and a lot of Queensland nurses go to Thailand and get implants.

The good thing about Thailand is that if the dentist rips you off there are many people that will sort the dentist for beer money.

Personally I would rather spend loot on RR\B parts.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan Ford,

I was fitted with false choppers but my gag reflex made me not wear them.

I don't get embarrassed because I have had my naked arse in the air surrounded by student medics

Who needs teeth! I want new bits for my car.

I want fangs like Dracula. The fangs will go well with my tartan pants.

I have a 4 inch beard somewhere in the mess is my cake hole.

I am growing my eyebrows and ear hair as well

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOL Thanks Robert.

I just dont think missing teeth is becoming look for a RR or Bentley owner.

I would consider it snobbish if it weren't me hahaha.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

teeth are for wimps

David Towers
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quite agree re the embarrassment of 'gappy' grins. Since finally losing the front tooth I have become massively self conscious and do not smile. I have never had what you would call 'nice teeth' but they were solid(ish)and fine for eating, didn't hurt and were, therefore, fine by me.

My dentist is Polish (strangely finding an English dentist here is one step removed from impossible!) and she is rough. Very bloody rough and has no awareness of pain or fear that her customers may be feeling.

The new tooth looks really good but I can't get over the lump of plastic in my mouth: my speech has gone to pot and I now have a sibilant 'S' sound and I feel even more self conscious.

Paying Speciialist cars bills is far less painful - 4 grand for a tooth indeed!

Grand Master

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have two cures for rough dentists. The first cure is I don't pay them. The second cure is worse for them by a long shot.

I don't think there is any excuse for a rough dentist given they can administer Novocaine to dull a needle for the bigger painkiller.

I once got a bill from a rough dentist and I informed him that not only was I not going to pay him but that I would be straight around to see him if he ever sent me another letter.

Now if I had a rough Polish female dentist, I would take a different approach. I don't believe man should ever hit a woman. Yes so I would just sue her. By that, I would call the media and then I would cross examine her viciously for long time. Perform a real spastic act on her. That in a small town is bound to bugger her business for a while.

If that didn't work her favourite pet, cat, dog or budgie would go straight in the pot.

Dentists who are rough in my opinion are simply out to make as much loot as possible by going too fast. If any judge wants to prove me wrong, I will appeal their decision.

There are good lawyers and negligent lawyers. Ditto for dentists.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 05:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bite the dentist with gnarly gnashers with bits of Big Mac stuck in the gnashers.

Out side our dentist was a bike casually thrown in the bushes. Thats the dentist getting rid of the evidence of his last poor victim.

Open wide.

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I always try to be bigger than my dentist in case I have to overpower them and make a quick get away

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love the dentist, rough or not.

I ask for a needle(s) and just go to sleep.

David Towers
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Given up. I have requested that a new one be made from a fresh impression as this sod just doesn't fit!
I hate teeth!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

My Brother in Law, who incidentally also lives in Devon, had a similar problem for a single missing front tooth. He also could not get on with a plate. His dentist used a technique where the tooth is clipped to the ones either side. I don't know the details. I don't know whether it is a permanent fixture or whether it is removable like a denture. It might be worth asking your dentist about this. Sorry I can't be more precise about this as my B in L only mentioned it in passing some time ago.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff I think it is called a bridge, don't know the details.

Richard.

David Towers
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having asked for a new one to be made I felt there was nothing to lose but I do have to wait a week or two for the new one, so I did what any self respecting and right thinking Bentley owner would do and attacked the sod with an electric drill!

Much better! Wearable now in fact, not perfect but a thousand times better that it was as made. I missed my calling, should have been a dentist! :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where there is a will there is a way David.
Good job.

I've used a points file on a chipped tooth once, so I know where you are coming from.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 02:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

Well done.

It occurred to me earlier to suggest using a dremel to reduce the size of the plate to make it more comfortable.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 03:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

I think what my brother in law had was different to a bridge. A bridge requires the teeth either side to be ground into the shape of a peg, which he wasn't keen on. I might be wrong on this. Maybe it was a bridge. The conversation was a long time ago so maybe I've remembered it incorrectly.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am starting to cringe, my toes have curled up.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

You can get commercial grade filling off ebay. You should set up a low cost dental practice for forum members, as a sideline.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No way mate.
Bad teeth make me cringe.

Happy to fix dentures on the work bench though

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
I think they are called bridges.
A bridge is the technical term used in dentistry to describe a false tooth held in place by neighbouring teeth.
https://www.google.ae/search?q=bridge+dentistry&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=613&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk5Y2r4pfSAhWDKiwKHSpkA_AQ_AUIBigB

Thanks
Omar

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Coincidence,

I had my long-postponed and to-be-avoided-at-all-costs dental check-up yesterday to be informed I had a cracked tooth cusp that should be replaced with a crown [a legacy of past Australian dental practice where every tooth problem was fixed with copious use of Mercury amalgam].

I was amazed when the dentist told me my past experience of having crowns done was no longer the case and it would only take about 2.5 hours from start to finish thanks to a new procedure where the tooth is scanned and a 3D milling machine carves a crown from an appropriately sized and coloured ceramic blank in approximately 40 minutes and it can be fixed in place immediately afterwards.

I had a good look at the machine and watched it in action and it is very impressive. Only thing it does not do is provide an alternative to the initial injection and tooth preparation with a drill which is the part I hate. However, as an applied scientist, it is very rewarding to see new technology finding unexpected commercial applications.

The great dentistry challenge is to find a method of completely painless injections plus noise and vibration-free drills. My blood runs cold and shivers run up and down my spine every time I hear the sound of the compressed air driven dentist's drill when walking past a dental practice.

I plead guilty to being the world's greatest coward when it comes to going to the dentist

Grand Master

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are wrong David because I am the greatest coward when it comes to going to the dentist on earth and on mars.

Yes all dentists should be shot without delay, there is no need to spare any of them!

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, 01 March, 2017 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of dentists, I lost a filling on Sunday whilst eating a sandwich. Felt a crunch that shouldn't be there and spit it out into my hand and though, oh-oh! A look in the mirror had me concerned because around there they work in concert. Basically, their technique sees odd caries drilled to the size of a pothole then filled with amalgam or tooth-colored synthetic. This is invariably followed with the warning that the wall of the surrounding tooth is thin (well, duh, you just made a huge hole in the tooth under the guise of removing dentin to get all the carie) and this brings the risk of the tooth cracking (with attendant great pain and the further risk the recommended $500-900 crown won't suffice and the tooth will have to be yanked. They all do this because, in my opinion, it's how to foment greater work for each other down the road even if you change dentists. That aside, I drew a young gal fresh out of dental school and she looked and said she thought she could touch up the dentin and create anew filling. While the shot of Novocaine isn't fun, otherwise it was a painless and rapid ordeal and I'm as good as new (nearly). That was a close call with them picking my pocket for $1RRU (an RRU is $1000 better spent on a Rolls-Royce). For exmaple, $200 tires X4 plus balancing and disposal fee basically amount to $1RRU, or $1000. I'd rather spend an $RRU on Tootsie than on a new crown!

Grand Master

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2017 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John I am with you on this one. It is better to spend loot on RR/B than dentists.

In 1980 in OZ I had all my teeth fixed for free by a dental student. He noticed a dentist had removed a double mollar and commented that could have saved the tooth with a root canal treatment which he performed on one of my front teeth.

So he made a bridge. He told me the bridge would only last 10 years. The bridge has lasted 37 years with no problems. Perhaps he should have been a bridge engineer instead of dentist.

No doubt this student is now rich and sunning his bum in Monte Carlo while gambling heavily on Roulette.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2017 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think John has discovered a new currency. And a much better way to explain RR/B purchases to the wife.
The Hell with Bitcoin, I'm going with $1RRU!

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2017 - 01:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having now spent $1RRU on my flaming teeth, I am still left with a new, new tooth that still doesn't sodding fit properly! It is too low at the front and the bit at the side is digging in my gum. I did ask the dentist to sort it out...

I gave up in despair! I decided that the best course of action was to simply adjust them/it myself, which I will. It is actually quite a good fit in so much as it is solid and doesn't rock or wobble about but the bit at the side is too high and eating my gum (it must be peckish) and the tooth itself is slightly too low to be level with the rest of my 'immaculate' gnashers!

I truly despair of anyone round here doing a decent job first time (or even second) and incompetence is reaching epidemic proportions. Happily, I have not paid the bill as yet, I fear it could take me quite a while...