Volvo semi truck brakes rock! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Volvo semi truck brakes rock! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://i.imgur.com/JE2DHae.gifv

Can you say wow!

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, not even a sign of a skid.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

very impressive

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The other driver was lucky he didnt get biffed.

Good anchors

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I didn't really feel in my gut that no one would ever attempt to stage something like this I'd immediately say it was staged.

The way that little car was just creeping out, and seemingly in "little steps", as a huge semi barrels down a grade toward it just defies all reason.

I'd be very curious as to what was actually occurring with the driver of that little car. Something definitely seems off, that's for sure.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I work for Volvo Group here in Australia, plus at my head office in Brisbane we are a full engineering, R&D plus manufacture all HD Volvo & Mack trucks for the Asia Pacific region.

I have been involved in a lot of road testing of these products, and brake testing, but luckily haven't been involved in an incident like this, amazing that the idiot in the small car is still alive.

I will see if I can photograph some of these Volvo brakes when next in the workshop, they are just awesome in size and construction.

By the way the tank fairing is shuddering she is at 10/10ths of ABS ability.

These new Volvos have the ability to do this by themselves without the driver touching the pedal at all under certain circumstances.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dera Patrick,
Volvo have the most amazing track in Malmo Sweden. Also the Swedes can certainly entertain their clients. I was once invited for a fun day at the Volvo track where we raced trucks of every size. My colleagues and I had milk trucks, log trucks, rubbish trucks and so on. several articulated trucks and a few rigid ones. We raced these on their track and my goodness do these trucks perform or what? The engineering in these Volvo trucks was simply amazing!!! and that was 10 years ago.
Best part of the trip was the entrance to the site..... it had a sign that said "entrance" in Swedish. Guess what entrance is in Swedish?........ Infart.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow that is some braking, the car behind the lorry only just stops with hard braking and the suspension working overtime.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope the truck's cargo wasn't a load of eggs!

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Actually, it's my impression the truck is going up the grade and thus, gravity is helping the truck make the stop. Anyway, I posted this knowing full well Patrick would see it (this, in the hopes he would comment). His knowledgeable observation of how the tank fairing is juddering (as it relates to the ABS function) is exactly the kind of detail I'd hoped he'd share. Moreover, while it's impossible to know, perhaps the truck is unladen as well? Regardless, one lucky fella in that small car - for sure!

Anyway, I happen to have a Freightliner in the fleet, what is called a hotshot. When I drive it, I do so very defensively and am uber cautious because you wouldn't believe the stupidity in which folks engage. E.g. passing or cutting into my lane then jamming on their brakes to make a right hand turn thereby forcing me into a near collision has happened so often I wonder if they do it on purpose. Added to which, I'm giving serious consideration of installing one of those continuous-recording multi-camera systems before I take it out on the road again. This, in hopes of having a legal leg to stand on in the eventuality of some idiot causing an accident and my receiving the blame.
Moby
- Our hotshot is named Moby for Melville's great white whale

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 13:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

There are so many perspective distorting elements in that video it makes my head spin.

I wish to add that my observations are based on the video itself and are not meant to impugn either any individual's veracity nor the engineering prowess of Volvo (which is legendary when it comes to safety).

The way that little car moves in that video almost makes it look as though the driver is intentionally trying to inch his or her way in front of that truck!

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm with Brian here on this.

After watching a few times, one has to ask, why is the car inching out. Also why does the camera car stop when he has a clear path ahead?

Obviously the truck is under full anchors, and it is a shame he has a container on, as then we can't see if it is loaded or not.

If it were a tray trailer or tautliner we could easily see if it was loaded or not even if the trailer and load is covered.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Brian also. Maybe I'm just a cynic but this is a really cheap way of advertising. The clip will likely be watched by millions if it goes viral. Nice advertising slogan "Volvo Semi Brakes Rock". All this for a few hundred bucks to set it up.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

As to the camera car stopping, pay attention to the signage. In this case it's entirely possible that he was getting ready to make a left turn and definitely had enough sense not to make it in front of a speeding semi.

There are some weird things about this video, but that stop does have an entirely plausible reason for having occurred as it did.

The overall combination of coincidences and odd behaviors still doesn't pass my personal sniff test.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, I have looked at the clip in full size It is genuine as far as I can make out.
Look at the rubber left under the tractor unit back up to the car behind.
Also worth a note is the car behinds auto flashers activated when heavy braking is commanded.
The car pulling out may be a Citroen with the caption "I've got style" [advert 90year old dear]

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I don't think it's fake and I'll eat my words if it turns out to be a viral marketing campaign. Frankly, I'm mesmerized each time I watch it. As for the driver creeping out, maybe it's due to my experience in Central Florida where we see it all but I've seen people do that so I'm not surprised. In any case, with respect to the hesitancy at the very end, I suspect it's probably difficult to accelerate or hit the brakes when your drawers are dripping warm poop down your leg and into your shoe, neh?

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 16:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the car driver is creeping out because he/she only has eyes for the car with the video cam which is about to make a left turn. The car driver is wondering if the left turn signal is intended or a case of a driver forgetting to cancel a signal earlier. Meanwhile the car driver is oblivious to the approach from his/her left of the Volvo truck.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 11:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or put another way . . . idiot driver lucky to be alive.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 12:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Exactly.

They need a staring role in "worlds worst drivers"

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The mad Russians drivers are best worst.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, 22 March, 2017 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Robert we get that show here in Aus, its just the best.
Trabby drivers seem to be the worst.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, 24 March, 2017 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Missing from the discussion regarding 3rd world drivers is this; how often was the 'culprit' managing nothing more complex than a wheel barrow six months previous? And putting that sanctimonious bit of BS aside, a) I've seen a lot of stupid things here in America, and b) when much younger, survived a handful due to my own stupidity. Fortunately, the lack of both the internet and dashcams means there's no proof to be used against me (even if the statute of limitations hasn't expired). Anyway, around here a prelude to something spectacularly dumb is often preceded by, "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 13:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not a Volvo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfV9qxcbLdA

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 13:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nope,

It's a Kenworth.

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you seen this!!!
https://youtu.be/ATocBBd7ARs

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like Christian said elsewhere,
To many idiots, not enough bullets.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What's weird about that last one is that it simply could not have been the result of a crash, at least not in the conventional sense of "crash."

The car appears to be as close to fully intact as can be and is being pushed along, sideways, at great speed. Contrast that against the crash footage from the video before.

How this situation came to pass is a real mystery.

Brian

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I asked the same question.

The answer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281575/Lorry-driver-shunted-Renault-Clio-motorway-60mph-cleared.html

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 01:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Francis, (note to all: "formals" being used here only because we have multiple Patricks on this thread)

I still want to know what "ill-advised manoeuvre" can land you in that position and have the damage to your car afterward be, "only a dented side and worn tyres."

Nothing is too strange to be true, but I'm trying to wrap my head around this. The only thing I can envision is that she tried to very quickly merge back into the same lane as the lorry when she was moving far too slowly and was far too close to it. That's the only scenario I can see where the car could be "scooped up" by this truck with very minimal damage and the confluence of events to allow that was miraculous, to put it mildly.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What I find strange, is that in a cab over truck like in the video, the vision is very good, how the driver cant see the car is a bit beyond me.

Most of the trucks I drive here in Aus, are cab over, and its quite a commanding position.

A large flat bonneted truck as we have in Australia, could hide 2 cars in front of it before the driver see them.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The classic NT/WA road train - try to pass one of these on an unsealed road at speed is one of life's greatest challenges due to the dust they throw up and the tail wag of the two rear units if and when the driver backs off on accelerator for any reason.

The potential for brown underwear is extremely high - I found it safest to pull over and wait for them to pass.

Do not even think of overtaking - they travel faster than you can and the dust they throw up means it is 100% certain the driver is not aware you are there especially in the pre-CB radio days of 1980 when I was driving to mine sites in the Pilbara.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have driven these in WA David,

And yes, what can be seen out of the mirrors equates to a white out in a blizzard.

Speeds are (supposedly)capped at 90kph, but driving a 200 tonne missile at that speed is more than enough for my undies to handle

Another typical road train in Western Australia (WA) this is unusual, as it does not have the tri drive of the tanker road train.