Australia Day Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Australia Day « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy Australia Day to all our Aussie friends.

What's the general view on changing the date?

Geoff

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the date and title should remain, it's part of our Australian history.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 951
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

Thanks

It was a good day, so much happening around the country.

I agree with Alan, the public holiday should be on the day, and not just turned into a long weekend.

Australia Day of late, has become very controversial with the indigenous people.

My wife and I were going to attend a very large motor fest in a place called Parramatta Park, however cars needed to be in very early, and then your locked in till after 3:30pm.

Just had to much else to do, so we drove the Chev to a family BBQ.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

Your Chevy is a fabulous car. Love it. Must be an absolute hoot to drive.

Geoff

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few days ago, I contemplated creating a forum annual honorary Australian award for the international member who best represented the Australian ethos of helping others without expecting reward or recognition for their assistance.

I started out creating a short list which immediately became a long list......

The end result was I could not select one person without excluding others who were equally worthy of selection so I am taking the easy way out and declaring all our members honorary Australians for their unstinting support of our forum and their help to other members.

Thank you because you all make my role of Moderator enjoyable, stress-free and free from antagonism unlike the experience of Moderators on other forums who are regularly abused and insulted for applying appropriate standards to contributors.

Thank You

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff.
Thanks mate.

With 24hp, rear wheel brakes only, Herculean steering, an advance retard lever that constantly needs as much attention as my wife & a crash box, it certainly is fun.
It's a car you have to get into and drive, not just be another passenger.

Plus everyone regardless of age, gender or nationality, want to talk to you.

It is the most fun car I have ever owned.

Plus you sit up as high as a Land Cruiser Sahara

David,
That's a great idea, and well delivered mate.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 17:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - maybe you should bring your Chevrolet to the Drive and Be Driven Day? At least to our next Technical Day?
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 953
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
That's not a bad idea about the technical Day.

The drive and be driven Day would be a bit tough mate.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
I will be in Adelaide shortly (golden grove)and the Sydney(picnic point) at the end of the month , fancied a train trip out to Parramatta pity I missed the car show.
If anybody is around be great to meet up for a stubby:-)
Best wishes
Mike

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike.

What date will you be in Sydney?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
People from all over the world love you Aussies - a great bunch of people. A very warm happy (belated) Australia day from us here in Dubai to all of you wonedreful Australians.
Omar

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick
5th until 11th March, will be doing some sight seeing blue mountains etc and around the city.
I know it's early notice but going next week, so don't know if I can see forum when I'm there ok
Cheers
Mike

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mike,

I live near the Blue Mountains.

You will love it.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can only comment as a Soviet Australian. The date should never be changed nor should the flag be changed or burnt.

If during Soviet times you burnt the Soviet flag I am certain you would regret it. If you burn the Russian Federation Flag perhaps you might get away with a very nasty beating.

The only problems with Australia is its people are not selective enough with immigration, they have too much humanity in foreign aid, and the politicians overpay themselves and the media is way out of control.

Eerrk etc