Flapjacks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Flapjacks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

oats
Lyons golden syrup or maple syrup
a bit of sugar

Mix into a paste with oat lumps in it.

spread mix into baking tray.

gas mark 4 for 25 mins

allow to cool and cut into inch squares.

The crumbs work well in yogurt.

I eat a square when I need a sugar boost. like a biscuit (which means cooked twice)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

Your recipe is similar to our Anzac biscuits which were sent to our military personnel when overseas in WW1. A word of warning though, they are a hard biscuit to give them the long-term keeping properties necessary for them to remain edible after the long sea trip from Australia/New Zealand to our serving military members so they are best eaten soft after a dunk in a cup of hot tea to protect your teeth:

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/anzac-biscuits-L79.html

Yummm........

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David I have a packet of Anzac biscuits and a cup of hot black tea sitting in front of me as I write these words, Made by Unibic and very nice too, Thank goodness the shells have stopped for a while.

Richard.

David Gore

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Good idea to get to know the local delicacies before you hopefully come to the "Land Downunder" in a few years time if we can get enough interest from members.

You still have Melting Moments, Shredded Wheat Meal [with butter] and Iced Vo-Vo biscuits to add to your preparation list plus cream buns and hot pies from a country town bakery.

My list is long and varied........

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 623
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nothing beats the sheer decadence of being in a warm apartment in the middle of a Russian winter and slurping down large pancakes filled with jam and sour cream and made by Russian lady. Aussie biscuits be damned.

David Gore

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 10:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Looks like we are going to have to assimilate you properly using appropriate techniques never before revealed .

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sour cream on pancakes???????????????????????

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Definitely Patrick. Spelt SMETAHA in Russian and I believe this form of sour cream is used extensively throughout eastern European countries. Used on pancakes soups steaks etc. Try it and you'll be hooked like me!!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
The wife has this on her list to locate.
I will be sure to keep you all posted.