Rolls Royce/Bentley and Fascinating I... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Rolls Royce/Bentley and Fascinating Internet Videos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 03:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As some of you know I recently looked at purchasing a 1988 Black Silver Spur in Sydney with a hilarious low 30000s miles or thereabouts on the clock together with fantastic salesmanship dribble of "somebody has really looked after this car"

The dealer had put a nice glossy video of it on the net with his voice as narrator describing the car in glowing terms.

David was kind enough to actually go and look at the car in person and send me photos.

My conclusions are as follows:

1. Never trust or ever get excited about internet videos;

2. Never trust a syllable uttered by a dealer;

3. Never buy a car you have not seen or have not had somebody you can trust look at the car;

4. Never buy a car until its been looked at underneath;

5. Never expect that the tax you pay to a government to keep dealers honest actually persuades dealers to be honest;

6. The second a dealer says he knows nothing about the history of a car he has just told you he is a lying swine and you can trust that he is not misdescribing himself even slightly;

8. The dealer concerned should shut up shop forthwith and become propaganda minister for North Korea.

9. The Black Spur is a pure form of feral bush pig.

10. Yak about genuine mileage is of zero importance and it is the actual condition of the car that is important.

The dealer is asking $30,000. The car is worth possibly $12,000 and unless he can't count he probably traded it for $8,OO0.

Unless you could do all the mechanical, paint and panel yourself and you like working for free and have $20,000 cash for a parts order for Flying Spares in UK this car is a financial black hole waiting for a brain damaged purebred sucker - preferably a blind one!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Add to that one more point that i fell victim to when I was a teenager........

11. Never go to see a car at night. Always buy cars you have seen in daylight.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
If I might add to your list?
12. Never buy a car in the rain ! (mainly a tip for UK buyers lol)
Mike
ps where can I buy this bargain?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Given the interest in the various threads regarding the Black Spur, I am thinking of providing a PDF file of the images of this vehicle to members for their judgement of the vehicle.

Accordingly, if you send me a private message through this forum, I will send you a link to a Dropbox folder where you can access and view the document.

I do not think it is appropriate to provide this link to non-members as the content is only of interest to dedicated R-R/B enthusiasts who understand the consequences of minimal and/or neglected maintenance.