New Silver Cloud owner. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » New Silver Cloud owner. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benjamin Newman
Yet to post message
Username: cloudscc123

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 16:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought I'd say hi. My name is Ben. I'm based near Castlemaine Victoria and I'm a Silver Cloud owner.

I've recently picked up a 57 Silver Cloud I project and thought I join this forum and discussions. I've already found the information here very useful.

I was a wedding driver and fell in love with the various cars I drove. I aways planned on getting a Cloud as it was my favourite.

My RR will be a gradual long term project. She needs a lot of work so I've got plenty of questions. I look forward to chatting with you all.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome, Benjamin, and congratulations. I, too, am a Cloud I enthusiast. Mine is a '59 and just yesterday I pulled it out of storage to do a front wheel brake cylinder before getting down to some serious driving enjoyment. If you need to do brake work, or even pull things apart to look the mechanisms over, I highly recommend the Ralph Curzon videos on Cloud brakes...and be sure to download the service manual from the forum archives. Although the videos are no longer available on the open market, keep a lookout on Ebay, and grab a copy if you can. The Cloud series is a real pleasure to work on as it is the logical culmination of the Pre-War chassis and has quality everywhere you look. Very "mechanical", with a minimum of electronic gizmos, and no emission controls! Whee!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ben, and welcome.
great bunch of people here.

Any chance of a pic of your Cloud?
There is a thread titled "pics of our cars" where you can up load it.

Great taste mate, I love the Clouds.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome aboard the madness that is RR ownership.
The cloud is actually a simple car but there is a lot of it. Every thing is available ( at a price that is) at least one can get the parts unlike other makes of old cars.
The brakes aren't to differcult to do providing one reads the workshop manual and tee one topics.
I myself fancy the Silver Dawn. But I have a Shadow and no where under cover to keep a second RR. Besides my Shadow is a good reliable car so I guess I can only dream of a Dawn but you never know.
Rust is a big problem with both the clouds and the dawn.
Please post some photos.
Should you encounter any problems we are here to help and encourage you.
To give an idea of prices I use flying spares web site. They have cloud bits.
Incidentally the cloud 1 with the 4.9 litre engine is not as slow as made out. It's slower than the 6.25 litre 2 and 3 clouds but not that much slower bearing in mind that 70 mph in a cloud 1 is going to feel pretty much the same as 70 mph in a cloud 2 or 3. One just has to give it more beans on the gas pedal that's about the only difference.

Anyway good luck with the work and hope you don't find anything really bad and expensive like brake hydraulics and brake drums. Check the shake back pins on the front brakes carefully because I have seen a few shake back or friction automatic adjusters not work properly on old Rover cars which have a similar front shoe set up except they are leading not trailing like the RR / Hispano Suzy patented system. When the shake backs wear the adjustment goes out of whack and the brake pull to on side can be quite strong. All this is on the video and tee one topics and in the manual.

These cars are a joy to work one because everything simply unbolts. Hours of fun don't you know.
I prefer the single head light look.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ben, Welcome. I have had my S1 for some 12 years. I use it regularly, would not score in a beauty contest, but a fabulous car. My son and I do all maintenance and preservation on this.
Mark

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benjamin Welcome!!! you are in good company a goo bunch of people although some of them are a bit mad but very helpful.

Richard.

Benjamin Newman
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 17:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind welcome. This is a picture of her arriving.

As you can see the body is reasonable. But that about the only good thing. She's not currently running. it appears she had a slight front end collision as some of the grill vanes were bent and the steering ram elbow connection pipe had been sheered off. The exhaust manifold was also cracked. And someone sold off the SUs and the starter motor!

Some of you might recognise the car I purchased it from a lovely couple in Tasmania. it's been sitting idol since 1997.

I'm expecting mountains work. Complete strip down of most components. I don't think i'll need do a great deal body work though. The interior needs a complete overhall.

I'm a engineer of sorts. (industrial designer) I love well made things. This will be a delight to work on.

So, anyone got an S1 starter motor? or an alternative?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Really nice looking car Ben.
Is the interior really that bad?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 23:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love these cars. How apt to say it was sitting idol.

Your best bet is to monitor ebay and do some deep web searches. The series 2 and 3 starters are easy to find and inexpensive, but the series 1 is a different type unfortunately.

Geoff

Benjamin Newman
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2016 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Luxury Junk Yard in the USA wants $950USD for a S1 starter motor. At least they are available.

Patrick, The interior is all there, original but the leather has large sections torn. And it looks like someone tried to do a quick resto of the wood with a rough lacquer. :/

I've got an original set of SU'S coming from the UK plus exhaust manifolds. My first tasks will be to get the motor running.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2016 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ouch!!
Sounds like it is in very capable hands Ben.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2016 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

$950 USD for a starter motor = 1320 AUD. Cheaper at Flying Spares for a recon unit at 1041 AUD. There is a core charge, so buying it outright will add to the cost, but it will be a reconditioned unit.

This is a RR specific item. I am sure a lot of the other parts you require will be a lot less expensive.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2016 - 18:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am with you Geoff a reconditioned unit will have some kind of guarantee.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2016 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Have you tried Bob Chapman in Melbourne?
He has everything.