Bo Diddley Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Bo Diddley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, 08 June, 2015 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I was playing the Bo Diddley clave rhythm. My grandson had never heard it before. The rhythm is sub Sahara african. My grandson is now complaining he cant get the rhythm out of his head.

The story or myth behind the Bo Diddley beat is that Bo Diddley went to an audition which he failed. So he went off and wrote this clave rhythm. He went back and played Diamond Ring. And the rest is history as they say.

He had a square guitar which is used to throw around a bit one day the guitar hit his undercarriage. He carried on though what a trooper. Bet that made his eyes water.

The Diddley beat locks me in this groove which becomes so intense.

It feels prime ordinal its like its in one sub conscious from an early age. Small children seem to pick up on it.

Theres a good explaination of the Diddley beat on Wikipedia.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

See, this is why I like the Forum in general, and Idler Chatter in particular: I learn so much new!
In general, I like different types of music from time to time, but I don't know much theory, other than there is a lot more to music than many people realize or think about.
After reading this I looked up some of the terms and Bo Diddley and learned a lot.Thanks!

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,
Thanks for the compliment.

I like a very wide range of music.

The diddley beat is played on one chord only.
Normally tension and resolution is done with pitch. Diddley does it with the beat.

The basics of music theory is actually simple but like maths gets complicated.

There is a bit of music theory that uses maths. Its based on 2 to the power of 12.
and also fractions of the fundamental pitch. The Greek mathematician who worked out triangles also worked out the scales. Bach modified the scales. The bach scales are known as tempered scales which all western music is based on.

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Isotonal tuning on a piano has twelve half-steps per octave, and each half step is the twelfth root of two different from its neighbor.

Chris.