Other peoples jobs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Other peoples jobs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Experienced User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, 03 June, 2015 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A mate of a mate came round to see me. He's a wildlife warden or ranger. He drives around checking the widlife and habitat. What a smashing job.

I wish I had a job like that. He said that sometimes he has to kill animals. But its not often. The land rover has a tracking device fitted so the office knows where he is. Apart from that he's his own boss. He showed me some really good quality photos of badgers. He sells these to magazines I was surprized one photo went for 150 quid. 90% of the photos go for 5 quid though.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 00:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like as not you're just thinking about the job during the Summer months. Sun on your face, a gentle breeze cooling your back and the birds twittering and warbling all around you. Sheer bliss! Think how it might be in Winter when there's a metre of snow on the ground with drifts double or treble that depth. Then add in the howling wind, sleet in your face and a truck stuck in the middle of nowhere with no signal strength on your mobile phone.

It's bad enough facing similar conditions on the road, but when you're surrounded by miles of nothing but trees, scrub and/or dying heather and hungry wild life with teeth and claws ...

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You just spoilt my drecam job.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 812
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you like tramping the wilds in severe weather then it's still a dream job. In my youth I used to enjoy Fell Walking over the Pennines and North Yorkshire Moors as part of an emergency contact team. With the advent of mobile phones that can contact the whole world from almost anywhere these teams are hardly necessary today.

Ps. People regularly phone from the summit of Everest. The only proviso is that the phone has to kept close to the skin when not in use as the low temperatures can 'kill' a battery in a few hours.