Perrier Cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Perrier Cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2016 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I notice that Perrier have decided to use Silver Shadows as mobile advertisement hoardings.

car

perrier

Looks like the car in the first photo needs some new rear springs.

Geoff

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2016 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice one Geoff - a good collection of Rolls Royce S&M. I'm am glad you brought this to my attention and not that I am living in such a desperate place that one has to buy Perrier water but I will make certain I do the right thing and never purchase their product ever.

I have been stripping all the brightwork off my 1970 Jaguar 420G in preparation of a full paint colour change from horrid Brown to Elitist Black.

This task is something most motoring journalists never do. Because if they did, they would be telling the public to stop buying the trash that is sold for new cars today.

The workmanship in the metal and the quality of each and every piece makes one realise just what has been lost in a car game and I can only think of Conrad's words "The Horror, The Horror".

The bonnet chrome strip has probably not been removed in 46 years. I could get it off without breaking anything. It does not even need re-chroming.

The other day I dropped in to town to get fuel and the owner of the service station who I know well was attempting to locate the problem with his daughter's 2000 plus VW Beatle not having any working air-conditioning and some other electrical problem. He was almost in tears.

"Every single bit of this pile of trash I touch breaks - just look at this door panel - cracks everywhere and all the electric window switches - you look at them and they break." He didn't have to say much - the look on his face told it all and he's been in the trade for over 40 years.

I have not worked on any late model Bentleys or Rolls Royces but I am wondering whether our German friends have introduced the same type of quality control into these cars that they introduced into their own Beatle because if they have then the marque is not dead but it is definitely dying.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2016 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir

I will join you in never buying their products again.

I was wondering why a multi billion dollar company like Perrier didn't use brand new Phantoms for their adverts. Could it be the rarer Silver Shadow attracts more attention. Thinking about it, no, they are just being cheapskates.

Geoff

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, 17 February, 2016 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is not feasible to junk a brand new Phantom after the advertising gimmik has worn off in a few months.....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Wednesday, 17 February, 2016 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since virtually all of this stuff is done with decals, AKA "Auto Wraps", see here for but one example, there's little to no damage done and the process is easily reversible.

They're automobiles, and ones that attract attention in their "naked" form, so the attraction of tarting them up for advertising purposes is obvious to me. I also doubt that the best examples out there are being snapped up for the job.

Brian

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.21.230
Posted on Wednesday, 17 February, 2016 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Au pis aller.

(Message approved by david_gore)