Starting Young Memberships Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Starting Young Memberships « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is possibly a simple answer to all this. At least it worked in my case. When I was 13, my father joined me up and paid the subscriptions to the RROC(A) and RROC Inc. I was still a Boy Scout, and wrote my very first article for an Australian club publication at the age of 16: headlamps for an R-Type that actually light the way. I was an instant enthusiast: despite my natural awe of the Marques, membership made it all the more tangible.

If other teenagers realise that membership is exclusive only in the the enthusiasm of its members, the word will quickly spread amongst the young, and their friends will soon join. It is folly to await older new owners in their 20s or 30s and hope that they join and contribute in my opinion.

Maybe the RROC(A) could grant a much-reduced membership fee to the younger members, but at least guys and gals: sign up your kids !

RT.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmmm Richard I am trying to remember you as a boy scout but neither can I remember me as a young married man with a heap of awesome junk in the garage and a family to raise. Until I went electronic, Millicent Coburn received her personal copy of 'Topics' so I hope that sowed the seed.

There is certainly provision for family members to join at a nominal fee although one would need to follow the proposing with some care since it was my experience when I opted to bring my partner into the Club in the hope that he would understand why I spent half my life in the garage. My application to the local Branch was considered and finally returned with my cheque which included money for the Foundation on the grounds that I had not followed the correct procedure. We then joined the New South Wales Branch where we were very promptly enrolled. Subsequently we re-applied for local membership and after 5 months were duly accepted. The lessons here are that some memberships are more exclusive than others to quote George Orwell!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Bill,

My daughter, Milena, is just six. Millicent and my daughter will both probably be nicknamed Millie or the like at some time.

Milena has already herself constructed a cardboard car upstairs from Ikea cartons complete with 4 child's chairs from her bedroom as seats and a plastic steering wheel which turns. Cripes, what a lot of packing tape she wasted. It even has a red B on the front and back: she claims that the one on the opening box on the back stands for Both Boot and Bentley... The mesh grille and twin cooling fans drawn on the front show that none are too young to miss the uniqueness.

No candidates are too young for membership.

RT.