Silver Shadow Hire in Sydney Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow Hire in Sydney « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dickinson
Experienced User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 14:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To any RROC(A) Associate members who would like to get behind the wheel of a Silver Shadow, I took the opportunity last weekend of hiring the 1976 model offered by the Classic Car Club of Rozelle (Sydney, NSW). I’m not putting this forward as an advertisement for the Classic Car Club; being an Associate member it’s the only R-R I’m aware of in Sydney that one can drive for a couple of days to help decide on prospective ownership. [Cost: Expect a 500km to 600km weekend to set you back around $1.20 to $1.25 per kilometre in rental cost and fuel.]

It was the first time I’ve driven a Rolls-Royce and I came away from the two day by 640km experience without any reservations; it whetted my appetite for Silver Shadow ownership. Why Silver Shadow? Probably (a) it was the model available during my teen years to late-twenties I can relate to, (b) it has refinements not available in previous models and without being too reliant on modern electronics (later models) and (c) it probably suits my bank balance!

Overall I found the vehicle to be in quite good condition, with only minor mechanical and electrical annoyances; insignificant points that made the weekend experience by no means unpleasant (a slight suspension “thump”, instrument light failure). I say I found it in good condition but then again I have nothing to compare it with. For a 28 year-old classic vehicle offered commercially for hire I thought it was fine; the emphasis being not so much on detailed assessment but more to sample the overall R-R experience. Sitting in armchair comfort, feeling effortless power-steering through that unique steering wheel, looking across that long bonnet and past (rumour has it) Ms Thornton’s sculptured image, to view the road ahead is something I could definitely warm to.

If a person is considering Rolls-Royce ownership and, apart from the purchase and on-going cost considerations [read: calculations] we all enter in to, wants to experience the driving pleasure, I can highly recommend heading away for a day or two in Sydney’s most (only?) rental Silver Shadow.

Jeanne Eve
Username: jeve

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,
Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend!And thanks for posting your experience on this forum. Also by being an associate member, you will have ample opportunity at general meetings, events, public motoring displays (next one is MotorEx, Homebush, July 3rd & 4th)to ask other members about Silver Shadows and hear more about any which are up for sale. Knowing the vehicle's history is important especially re maintenance & servicing. I believe about 30% of our Club's membership own Silver Shadows! All the best.

John Dickinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeanne. To some people the idea may sound a bit expensive at first but if a person considers what they're likely to spend on buying a vehicle the weekend works out to be around 2% to 2.5% of eventual purchase price (depending vehicle condition and price bracket of course). I think that's a reasonable price to pay for a long distance "test drive" before outlaying the funds. The Classic Car Club offers cheaper rates on weekdays if one is interested in cutting down the cost a little.

I like the idea of an extended "test drive" before committing to any type of vehicle purchase. I did the same thing about six years ago before buying a new Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic and found it beneficial in the decision-making process.

I certainly will become more involved in RROC(A) club activities and take the time to learn from experienced owners. The idea of purchasing a vehicle from within RROC(A) membership is definitely sound advice.

James Aitken
New User
Username: james_a

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bravo John! I have been awaiting your report since you emailed me and told me of your plans. Feel free to email me more details if you like.

My only regret is that I do not know of such a service in Brisbane. I would be delighted if anybody could correct me on that!

John Dickinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 10:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James. I've just forwarded an email to you with further details of last weekend's excursion. After I dropped the vehicle off at Classic Car Club last Monday I asked whether there are (to the best of their knowledge) any other Rolls-Royces available for hire in Australia.

The reply was, "We're not aware of any. We've been running the Car Club for just over 12 months now and had considered branches in Melbourne and on the Gold Coast. It's early days yet and we'll see what the future holds."

jim.cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.44
Posted on Wednesday, 07 July, 2004 - 11:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi john. as far as i know there is a car hire firm in both melbourne and adelaide who hire out luxury cars to the general public. their name escapes me at the moment but i do remember that do have a rolls royce corniche convertable in their fleet. i hope that this information is of use to you. happy driving!