Oil leaks: In General... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Oil leaks: In General... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
New User
Username: randy_r

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 31 March, 2007 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello; I've been reading all the leak-related topics. As the 6.75 engine has liners with weep holes as do some of our large engines, thought I'd pass along. Often, to avoid constand wiping-up of leaking oil, the operators will tap the weep holes and use plastic or metal tubing to connect the holes to a common drain; usually a conveniently-located bucket. I don't know if this has any value for the cars, other than possibly keeping the drips off the pavement while not completely blocking the weep function.
I was often tempted to thread in an Alemite fitting and inject a certain amount of silicone, but did not ever follow through. I have also seen weepy weep holes on John Deere tractors. Alas, not on my own Rolls-Royce (yet, anyway...).
What about the possible usefulness of all the interesting absorbent thingys available from industrial supply houses? Some here in the US are called "Pigs", and they seem able to hold an enormous amount of oil. Just tie a couple in strategic places and monitor; change when indicated. I do like the plastic bag prophylactic, though. I can imagine some possibly embarassing guffaw-raising replies, so I'll stop now...
Regards, Randy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Wednesday, 04 April, 2007 - 04:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Believe or not an oil leak only offically becomes an oil leak when the leak leaves a pool of more than 1 inch in dia in 5 mins ( or something like that).

My car does not leave oil spots-- it has a scroll rear crank "seal".

However I have parked the car in the same place for 17 years and the concrete is oil stained. I jet wash it every few years when I have a workshop clear out.

Providing the engine is not leaving oil spots then the leak is OK. Anything more requires attention.------ In the UK oil leaks that leave oil on the road are illegal and can attract serious fines if oil happened to be dropped somewhere sensitive.

I have got into the habit of when moving off taking a look at where the car was parked.

(Message approved by david_gore)