Shadow II Workshop manual Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Shadow II Workshop manual « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon Taylor
Yet to post message
Username: simon_taylor

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 23 March, 2007 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone,
Nearly a year ago, my wife and I bought a Shadow II originally delivered in England. We had been looking for a nice one for some time and finally found a 1979 model in Silver Mink. It has almost 120000 miles, but is in decent condition. It was bought as a weekend / fun car and we have already competed in the Polana Rally (a regularity run from Pretoria to Maputo, Mozambique). I'm keen on working on the car myself and would like a copy of the workshop manual. Is the manual going to be added to the technical library?
Regards, Simon
SRH37937 (Originally delivered on my wife's birthday, not in the same year though)

bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2007 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Shadow 2 is a mixture of a Shadow 1 and a Spirit.

Normally RR introduce a new car every 10 years.

But due to the serious money upset in 1970 the Shadow had to soldier on until 1980 an extra 4 years. So as a Stop gap RR fitted all the new designs intended for the Spirit to the Shadow which is why your car has climate control and rack and pinion steering.

So using a Shad 1 manual and the bits of the relevant sections of the Spirit manual. In the main climate control and the steering.

I got my Shadow 1 in 1989 and since then I have used it as a family runabout and the car has given little trouble. Most expensive bit was £1000 spent on the hydraulics and brakes. If you run a Shadow then regardless of miles eventually the brakes will have to be overhauled. This is not differcult just time consuming, and of course the price of the parts.

Having said that I have had near 20 years use from the car and it is still worth what I paid.

Which makes the Shadow a cheap car to run.

About the same time as I got the Shadow my brother brought a new Vauxhall which he sold after 5 years and lost more money than I paid for the Shadow

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Saturday, 31 March, 2007 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Silver Shadow II manuals are almost ready for the library. We have had a few hiccoughs with the FTP server, so we are resorting to snail mail and CDs. Be careful. SZs are completely different from SYs in the hydraulics and in the entire final drive to start with.

Simon Taylor
New User
Username: simon_taylor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2007 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard, that's great news. I've already tried a combination of the Shadow I and Spirit manuals, but found that the carbs and electrics differ as well as the hydraulics.
Bob, I agree about the depreciation. Some years ago, my wife bought a '65 E-type coupe (company car) for the same money as a new Toyota Camry. When we sold it after about 7 years we made money on it. If the Camry had held 25% of its purchase value over the same period it would have been amazing.
Regards, Simon

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Wednesday, 04 April, 2007 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The value of Shadows has bottomed out in the UK. Also I have noticed that there are less of them coming up for sale.

In recent years the price of new cars has dropped by at guess 30% in the UK. This must have a knock on effect on the values of ALL cars.

Look at it this way if a NEW cheap car was fifty quid how much would you pay for a NEW Rolls-Royce? and how much would you pay for a 30 year old Rolls-Royce.

The price slashing is now over prices are stable and this in turn stabilizes prices in the Shadow market and my forecast is that for the next five years the prices will rise at 2 or 3% a year..

I am happy to drive around in my Shadow and see no reason to drive anything else. Bearing in mind that I need a car I might as well keep the Shadow and save a lot of money that would be spent buying something else.

(Message approved by david_gore)