Turbo R Twin distributor wrangle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Turbo R Twin distributor wrangle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Shayer
Yet to post message
Username: phil_shayer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 28 December, 2011 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, after having the twin distributor belt mysteriously spontaneously turn into something you could weave into a new jumper on a spinning wheel whilst my Turbo R sat innocently in the garage unused I proceeded to replace it. Now my car(Sedrik)is running like a bag of spanners and suspect timing or even a fractured rotor arm during my hasty refitting. To eliminate potential timing problem I cant seem to locate any adjustment ? help please? also, I had difficulty owing to argumentative belt notches, getting the two rotors to align at the tdc mark perfectly and resolved to one being a slightly out... could this also be the culprit(notches wouldn't allow accurate alignment and is a genuine RR part)? Getting black on boxing day was not my idea of a what was supposed to be a pleasure drive into Byron bay for coffee in my otherwise utterly perfect running Sedrik (also looking for a buyer)

Udo Hoffmüller
Frequent User
Username: udo

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 28 December, 2011 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps does it help to find the correct position?

Regards - Udo

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2011 - 00:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check plug leads are on correctly and in order.

You can slip a small bit of plastic (wd40 tube) or bit of matchstick between the belt and the teeth and then rotate it. This usually moves the arm along one tooth.

Phil Shayer
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 15 January, 2012 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your help... I thought the problem was one of the rotor arms but replaced it, it appears not. They don't line up exactly regardless of which tooth I move it to. I do however find that the number 1(the belted side A1 A4 B3 B2) runs the car on those 4 cylinders... however, number 2 distributor now doesn't fire? when the belt was broken, the car ran on this (direct driven)side of course, and prior to the belt breaking the car ran perfectly...?? seems odd...

Phil Shayer
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 15 January, 2012 - 15:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah... fixed... it seems that TDC marker is miss-positioned? Odd but who am I to argue? Is this the 20 degrees referred to?? I rotated the whole distributor (unbolted) on its axis and the other side caught up and ran fine! So I removed the whole unit and rotated the two rotors on their axis by one tooth anti clockwise and presto!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: