Arnage T Noisey Tappets Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Arnage T Noisey Tappets « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, 15 July, 2012 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My friend has a 2003 Arnage T twin turbo. The engine is a 6.75 litre unit - but although it has only covered 25000 Kms, the tappets are really noisy. Could it be he is using the wrong oil or is this a common fault with them?
Thanks
Omar

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, 15 July, 2012 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the top end of the engine is the same as the original V8 from the 70's there shouldn't be any noise from the tappets except at startup after a long rest. Unlike the Ford versions of the 80's the RR/B ones are self draining to avoid a build up of fine detritus in the bottom of them, so they will slowly empty over time. I suspect a lack of oil pressure to the hydraulic followers if they can be heard for more than 5-10 seconds. My first reaction would be to drain the 'old' oil and then flush the engine with 5 litres of diesel fuel (twice) letting the car idle for 2-3 minutes each time before refilling with the correct grade of oil.

I don't know what viscosity of oil is recommended, but I expect that anything from 10W40 down to 0W30 should be adequate - preferably a fully synthetic - changed every 20K or 12 months whichever comes sooner along with a fresh filter.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2012 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jan,
The car has hardly got any miles on it. Also it has already been given the oil change treatment you suggested although no diesel flush. Yes the engine is still the original V8 base that we have in our cars but boy does it look different to our cars. There are also two stonking turbos on the engine. The tappets are nice and quiet when cold but very noisy when hot. I wonder whether the brand of oil makes a difference to the noise.
Thanks
Omar

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2012 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Which make and grade of oil is in the engine? Was a new oil filter put on at the time the oil was changed? I suspect that the oil may be thinning out too much as the temperature rises. Alternatively the pressure relief valve may be dumping too much back into the sump due to a weak spring or blocked filter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: