Gearbox bushing damaged Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Gearbox bushing damaged « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was replacingg the rear oil seal on the tail housing of the gearbox, when I noticed that the bush under the seal was damaged.

There are 2 serious marks right opposite each other as if the metal has been eaten away. There is no damage whatsoever on the output shaft.
I will of course replace this bush but I wonder what might have caused this.

Any ideas ?

Benoit

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit I am pretty certain that that bush is not damaged and that those two grooves are there to allow the oil to lubricate the outside of the slip yoke that goes onto the output shaft.

Without those grooves all kinds of metal maiming would occur ! So don't replace the bush unless you can move the yoke laterally. These bushes do wear out on some vehicles causing the seal to leak but more likely the seals leak because of age and heat damage as automatics get really hot during normal operation.

Also, its not necessary to remove that housing to remove and replace the seal as the seal can be pried out and the new seal tapped in. Have fun

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I hadn't thought of that but you're right, it makes sense.
I'm just surprised at how untidy these grooves are.
They don't seem to be nicely machined as well looking as it they were carved out with a chisel.

Benoit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit, I think Vladimir is right about the grooves, however, as you have observed, they look very eroded and the whole bush looks pretty torn and gouged.

If the bush is not too expensive and is an easily fitted one, I would change it while you are there.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My eyes are a bit strange ever since I gave the booze up. Paul has a point here, but just put the yoke in the hole and see how much movement its got sideways. A new bush should not break the bank and I'm sure you will use new flange gasket too. I always put oil on the new seal lip too to avoid it getting burnt before the oil arrives from the transmission. That's one thing a lot of mechanics don't do and why should they as by the time the new seal leaks the repair will be out of warranty.

Check also those universals on the tailshaft are okay as mechanics are notorious for just giving up trying to get grease into some universals. Some mongrel cars like Toyota make it so hard to get a grease gun onto the nipple that you either have to use a grease spike or remove the tailshaft to grease the universal joints. Just another reason why I loath Asian cars and wish they never ever made cars as they turned the mechanical trade into a torture chamber.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 843
Posted on Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would take the tail housing to auto gearbox shop and have them change the bushing because they will have the correct tooling to hand. Also take the yoke with you so they can get it perfect. They made millions of these gearboxes and parts are not expensive. I use grease on lip seals. Castrol chassis grease LM.

At least Toyota fitted grease nipples. Ford gave up fitting grease nipples in the early 1960s. Then to compound the problem Ford did away with circlips and staked the UJ cups in making a UJ change very difficult. I put the F in Ford.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: