1927 20hp Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » 1927 20hp « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Reeves
Yet to post message
Username: reevsy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 23 April, 2018 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, 1927 20hp. i have a rattleing noise like somthing is catching around the front end dynamo shaft area. Any suggestions welcome?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 777
Posted on Tuesday, 24 April, 2018 - 11:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter...
Such issues are difficult enough to diagnose on site let alone with vague characterizations. You will have to let your eyes, ears, and fingers do the exploring looking for something loose, externally or internally. Any diagnosis from afar is virtually impossible due to the multitude of possible variables. For instance, when you say "rattling" that could very well simply be a loose fender (wing) mounting bolt that only "appears" to be originating from the area of the dynamo. Sorry to be a bummer.

P.S. Correct me if I err, but isn't the front end of the dynamo gear driven rather than belt or shaft? Isn't there a shaft that runs from rear of dynamo to the magneto? Is this the shaft to which you refer?

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, 24 April, 2018 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter, get a long, 12-15" screwdriver and put one end on engine and other in ear. Just listen around, there will always be different "whirring" noises from bearing/bushes/mechanical parts. Given a bit of practice, hopefully you can pinpoint the noise to an area. As Christian says noise travels. I would look at w/shop manual AND parts lists to familiarise myself with what internal components are in area of noise. Are there gears/bushes/ reciprocating parts etc. PLEASE, PLEASE make sure that if engine running YOU don't get the screwdriver caught in fan nor bend your head/hands to get closer and catch either/or. I have seen this done and fans/dynamo belts do not take prisoners! good luck.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.161.255.106
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you mean aperture?

(Summat ta chew on!).

(Message approved by david_gore)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Prior message to which CC refers (the appetite)seems to have disappeared.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter, you could use a stethoscope made for mechanics, looks like a medical stethoscope but has a long bit of metal on it instead of a round thing.

So if the noise is coming from the engine you will be able to tell if its up the top or down the bottom but if you can only hear a hiss, the noise could be from somewhere else.

Peter I am not really into the early stuff but best of luck anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: