1927 Rolls head tightness etc Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » 1927 Rolls head tightness etc « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Reeves
New User
Username: reevsy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 04:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, I’ve managed to blow the head gasket on my 1927 20 GRJ 48 which in turn has managed to cut through the long head mounting Stud which is 10.6” long between pot 5 and 6 In order to replace this stud I have to remove the block and release the big end bearings caps and push the pistons out of the way remove the block then I can exchange the broken stud My question is what tightness should use when re tightening the big end caps and also what tightness for the head studs. The reason I have to remove the broken stud in this was is you can’t pull it through the head, block as the shaft is fluted at the lower end and the flute is to big for the hole to withdraw the stud.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.161.255.106
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter Revves after all this time and the Ormskirk cabbages!
Tightening the big end caps like evrything else was by box spanner and "feel" with a Tommy bar. 25 lbft on a needle indicator torque wrench is enough, then to the next pin hole.
The long head studs are tricky, and the new EN8 ones from Fiennes keep stretching afer 15 lbft, as they are waisted down from 5/16" ,15 lb is about right. Make sure that the nuts have,nt bottomed on th threads, a source of gasket failure.
C

(Message approved by david_gore)

Peter Reeves
New User
Username: reevsy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 18 August, 2018 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher nice to hear from you again! have to say bad year for cabbage! Even had to import then from Yorkshire. Thanks for the info. I’m still trying to get hold of one of these studs, as,the normal stockists don’t have any at the moment. Any ideas where I may get one? Again nice to hear from you again👌

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: