UNDERSLUNG Silver Ghosts of 1911/12 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Ghost » UNDERSLUNG Silver Ghosts of 1911/12 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rickford
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2001 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone over there have any personal knowledge of these few cars...some were exported to you.
Some claimed Chassis 1826, 'The Mystery', was one such.
I found one here in England in 1961 as a farm yard flat bed trailer and bought it for £10. It later became a so-called Chassis 1701, despite it being arguably 1912 not 1911!!
Look forward to comments.
Cheers, Rick Ford

ChrisG
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2001 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chassis Number 1958 (ex-Maharaja of Patiala) was in Australia from 1916 but was recently sold and is, I believe, now in the USA.

Ian Irwin in "Silver Ghosts of Australia and New Zealand" reports that "The Mystery" (btw the name of one of my computers) was known to be in Australia in 1927. It was sold to Rick Carroll of Palm Beach, Florida in 1986. It is now in the possession of a New York owner. It was rediscovered in 1958 on a property in Victoria. It had been sitting under a pear tree for fourteen years and was acquired for five pounds. From 1936 to 1940 its owner used it for carrying sheep around his property.

Webmaster for www.mcdermottsales.com.au (139.134.27.67)
Posted on Monday, 03 December, 2001 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert McDermott owned the 'The Mystery' and to my knowledge has the largest collection of these early 'ghosts'. His personal interest and knowledge of the era is extensive and has prompted me into recording the stories of the searches and discoveries of many of the Australian 'Silver Ghosts'. His own research and recollections of where such cars as 'The Mystery' were discovered make for very interesting reading. If you are an enthusiast of the early Rolls-Royce era, I would be very pleased to ask Robert your questions and repost them back on this discussion page.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: