Overdrive for 1920 Silver Ghost Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Ghost » Overdrive for 1920 Silver Ghost « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Hilditch
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2001 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know of a reputable company in the UK who can fit an overdrive to my car?

Jim Bettison
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2001 - 13:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've not got any direct experience, so I can't recommend. I'm looking at the same possibility for my 20/25. In UK and Europe there seems to be several suppliers, mainly in the context that the older cars (although having lots of - or enough - power) have difficulty in reaching and sustaining autobahn/autostrada minimum cruising speeds.
The latest RREC Advertiser lists two who appear to do separate overdrive units, and one who (I think) does gear cutting and provides gear sets with about 25% ratio improvement.
The separate units are from Ristes Motor Company Limited, Gamble Street, Nottingham NG7 4EY: phone (0115) 978 5834 / fax (0115) 942 4351; e-mail info@ristes.zee-web.co.uk
and
FJ Payne & Son Ltd, Oakfield Road, Eynsham, Oxford, OX8 1TH: phone 0044 (0) 1865 882299 Fax 882309
Re-gearing is, I think, Fiennes Enginering, Clanfield Mill, Little Clanfield, Oxfordshire OX18 2RX: phone 01367 810438 / fax 01367 810532; e-mail fiennes@cix.co.uk
I have a 1997 Ristes Price List from Ristes, which lists for Silver Ghost: "Overdrive Unit Supplied and Fitted 2,586.00 pounds; supply only 2,286.00 pounds".

Good luck. I'd like to hear what you decide to do, and what the outcome is.

David S. Morrison
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2001 - 13:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The two best overdrive units available for the Silver Ghost are the Frank Cooke mechanical unit for about $6000.00 US, and the Gearvendors laycock type unit which is $3495.00 US. Both are drop in units which can be installed by any good mechanic in a day and require no machine work or welding. We have done so many in our region that we can put in one in about 4 hours.
This is the best thing you could do for your Ghost, it makes driving a pleasure again. Ignore the nay sayers.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: