Massive pointless over re-action Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Massive pointless over re-action « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Administrator has brought in new rules for Idle Chatter.

1. It is definitely censorship;

2. It is a massively pointless over re-action.

3. I do not consider any contributor on this forum to be child and I always valued their opinions even if those opinions were totally opposed to mine.

4. The concept that the censorship of Idle Chatter with the threat to close Idle Chatter down completely, would in someway inherently protect the forum from self destruction like has been suggested has happened to other forums is inherently flawed.

5. Thus therefore I now irrevocably retract my statement that Idle Chatter is a " democratic cell " for clearly it is not.

6. The rich tapestry of the forum which allowed free exchange of ideas internationally between contributors has been ripped asunder.

7. The Administrator is quite within his rights to change the rules and I am certain all of us would vote for the extinction of Idle Chatter if it meant the destruction of the Forums excellent technical exchange.

8. Idle chatter was the idea of the Moderator David Gore and I suggest his moniker should be changed to Grand Moderator not just because of his many hours of voluntary work that has made the Forum work but because of his diplomatic and inherent genius.

9. As Grand Master Soviet, when I get financial, I will create a web site where, if you are a contributor to the Forum, you will be able enter the Web Site I create and discuss ANYTHING!!!!

10. My proposed name for the Web Site will be
"The Snake Pit " named after the drinking den of Australian Army Grunts based at Darwin.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 12:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Where? If this is the case then then it was stealth, as I've been reading pretty consistently recently and have seen no announcement of such.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I will voice my protest if said rules are not well publicized and also not subject to member input before being implemented.

It's one thing to be adding something, like Idler Chatter was a couple of years ago, but it's another entirely to take it away.

I also think it's ludicrous to claim that the Idler Chatter forum in any way detracts from the other sections. No one is forced to read any of the forums, and Idler Chatter has been a lot of fun for filling time between technical issues arising. There are, after all, dry spells.

Unlike you, though, I do not believe having rules regarding the nature of content and decorum is censorship in any way. I wrote what follows quite a while ago, and in a very different context, but it applies here:

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.
Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.
Suppression of expression of the wrong thing by oneself is discretion, restraint, and good manners.
Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Any forum owner has the absolute right to have editorial oversight. It's their soapbox and bullhorn and you and I both are here at the pleasure of the owner(s).

Brian

Moderator Input: Brian, the revised conditions were added to the Idler Chatter entry on the TOPICS page and I referred to them in the following post earlier this week:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/16947/33698.html?1541391929

Regards David

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Thanks for the attribution but no cigar!!

Our Administrator initially created "Idler Chatter" primarily to give Bob Reddington [alter ego Bob UK in early times] the opporunity to post anecdotes of his life and experiences which initially appeared as part of his contributions and become more voluminous and interesting over time. I endorse the way Robert subsequently used this privilege and our continuing this standard would be a fitting tribute to our now-absent member.

This privilege was taken up by other members over time and has provided much interesting and diverse information about our members, their interests and their life. You certainly come into this category.

Unfortunately, some comments and responses from members began to "cross the line" into contentious and provocative matters which have caused problems in other special interest forums similar to our forum and, in several cases, the demise of the forum. This began to concern our Administrator and is the reason for the changes made to the conditions applying to Idler Chatter

Whilst I am a strong supporter of free speech which has been used many times during my moderation, I also realise the danger of emotive and strongly held opinions on contentious subjects plus the right of the Administrator to impose conditions on posting and topics in the forum.

I hope commonsense and reason will prevail in future and I will not have to do the "long walk along the edge of a razor blade" when considering whether to edit posts. My personal safety is in everyone's hands so please exercise your posting rights accordingly 1

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2671
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I still have to ask, where is this announced or documented?

Stealth changes really aren't of much use and people will feel subject to "gotcha" if they are not informed about them.

I can't find anything in the last week.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 12:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Please see my comment under your last post above....

Grand Master

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear I have given the Evil Moderator an award for creating Idle Chatter when it was the Administrator all along.

Well then I tear both golden amputets from your Grand Moderator uniform and demote you instantaneously to previous rank of Moderator.

The prohibition upon the discussion of politics, religion and sex as set out in the new rules would have had Bob .....puzzled.

David Gore

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 13:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Demotion accepted - a better fate than being shown the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grand Master

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 14:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David in the back of my incredibly warped mind is the evil concept of a convertible Shadow which was fueled by your uttering of your past car.

Sneakily, I have been viewing a resto project in WA but have beaten back the urge to become more interested.

Indeed so crazed am I that I even contemplate modifying one so the bag goes level.

A black LHD one would be supercool at dusk and dawn as I lurk with nefarious intentions in Airlie Beach. Naturally, I would wear my greased up cowboy hat embroided with a ring of .270 used shells and my $600 hand made white pointy Italian shoes with provocative tee shirt and torn jeans for effect....or at least to disturb the help.

David Gore

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir; everyone should get the opportunity to drive a traditional Corniche [i.e. the carburettor versions prior to the emission-strangled post-1973 models] especially one with the 9:1 compression UK engines with the top down on a balmy summer night accompanied by a companion with definite irresistable inclinations.

Why miss out - give the restoration project further consideration; you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

P.S. Don't forget the obligatory gold chain around your neck to confirm "sugar daddy" status.

Trevor Pickering
Frequent User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh what fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the memory of "a companion with definite irresistable inclinations"

Those were the days and I did not resist too much

Grand Master

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2018 - 18:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David so right, the extremely thick chunky totally tasteless bright gold chain in pure bling so if you get robbed by some fool he runs off thinking he has hit the big time to Cash Convertors to be told its false. Lovely.

This is where Thailand comes in handy.

And now for those of you who don't like the unwashed sitting on your car or leaning on your car when parked I offer you, not many years of painful martial arts in Japanese, Chinese and or Korean styles - but yes indeedy the indestructible Umbrella.

Yes, google that and watch the videos. Not only will it keep the sun and rain off your jet black gangster sunglasses but this handy little item is deadlier than a knife AND jet setters you can carry it on a plane. (Er not for long I expect)

I cannot wait until I am 84 and find a victim on my car. Seriously, you do not want to be hit with this thing!

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 820
Posted on Thursday, 08 November, 2018 - 00:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I learned early-on at the local coffee shop, to listen, disagree perhaps, but do NOT get mad.
If one can't hear opinions one disagrees with, one should stay clear, IMO.
I enjoy reading different ideas and opinions. We should be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Thursday, 08 November, 2018 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I have no issue with the new rules, nor the right of the Administrator to impose them.

That being said, these were not announced in any meaningful way whatsoever. I even had to head back to the Topics section after reading your annotation.

It behooves "administration" to make the membership at large aware, very aware, of changes such as this with an official announcement. I can foresee the possibility of any of a number of "our regulars" running afoul of the new rules simply because they would have had no knowledge of them had this very topic not come into being. That is simply not right.

Brian, who moderates on several other forums (and has for years) and adamantly believes that rule changes must be clearly announced to the membership at large when they occur.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Thursday, 08 November, 2018 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I demand that the forum acknowledge that I am 42 not 62.

Now I am not discussing politics, but age bias and prejudice.

Indeed I want to be 32 not 42 but I am not discussing politics like a robot being given citizenship in Saudi Arabia and our other friends swimming from male to female (not discussing sex but gender) or female to male (again not discussing sex but gender).

Also, I want top class surgery at the expense of the superrich to remove my face and give me the dial of a 32 year old so that I can have have a chance to carry out my biological instinct without large amounts of cash fleeing my wallet.

Indeed I want another birth certificate and passport.

Vladimir is nuts you say. Well indeedy a chap in Netherlands is suing to have his age reduced from 69 to 49 because .... no no you won't get me talking about prohibited naughty things on this forum.

Also, I want Einstein's Theories scrapped, the finite speed of light at 186,000 miles per second in the dust bin and the concept of infinite speed adopted immediately if not sooner.

Furthermore, I want Brian to be stopped from ever uttering an unkind word about anything Camarguey again.

Yes, well that should do it for today and tomorrow I will come up with some more totally reasonable ideas and one of them particularly deals with the mohawking of your neighbour's cats.

Enjoy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: