Bob and the Question of Keith Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Bob and the Question of Keith « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2015 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know you are out there.

Toad of Toad Hall told me. And indeed there are those of you so foul that you remember the sixties and all the capers.

Things like bring the jug to the tea pot and oh you would not believe it but young Susan who is a Protestant has been going out with that young boy called Jack and he's a Catholic and they look like they are happy?

Evil things happen when you own a Rolls Royce. But owning a Rolls Royce and driving one are two different things all together.

I do not think Hammond should have got the move from Top Gear for his outrageous comments. No I think he should have been reprimanded for his nasty comments about Corniches. And then he should have been flayed like the family mule. It was nasty and not even Keith would have stuck up for him.

I never had much time for Mick but Keith was always on the hammer. Mick, well without Mick would you have had the Stones because London to a brick without Keith and his supercool intros and ongoing riffs you would never have had the Stones.

But that's an aside, an kind of Hunter S. Thompson downer on the bender.

Yes Jetsetters, tonight in the middle of bugger all I sit sedated, JHR 23682 Camargue sits outside.

How many you remember Charles, the photo of him telling Diana too get the F%@k of the mudguard of his Aston?

I can't stand the sight of a female on my bodywork - I just will not have it.

Look its as simple as this: If you sit on the seat of a Hells Angels motorbike without his permission that's legal but your are going to get a clip under the ear.

But if you lean against some old chaps RR, you may get away with it, then again maybe you will not.

I never come too close to a lovely car at a show.
Its a matter of respect.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.164.124
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2015 - 05:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Rolling Stones.
Mick Jagger said that if he writes a song without the rest of the band he writes a ballard. If Kieth Richards writes the music first then he writes Rock and Roll.

Richards is a genius guitar player because he writes such simple riffs or ear worms.

He tunes to open G and removes the low E string.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Prolific User

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2015 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob I am going to move this discussion to idle chatter before David comes after us as I need to study your habits.

Vladimir - I did it for you

Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2015 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, you said Keith Richards "tunes to Open G and removes the low E string"

When you say "removes" are you talking metaphorically or do you mean he actually physically removes the guitar string from the guitar.

Guitars don't like me Bob. I have owned and given away three electric guitars with their amplifiers.
I am going in the near future to buy another electric guitar and I am going to chain it along with the amplifier to one of the steel support columns at my humble Camargue dwelling so it does not get away. One problem I have being right handed is I am most undexterous with manipulating the fret with my left hand. It feels most unnatural and I have wondered if I need to swap to a left handed guitar so that my better right hand can deal with the fret.

I have to get to this guitar playing sooner than later because recently I started to or attempted to learn Vietnamese and its like this Bob the word "ma" in Vietnamese means ghost, but, horse, grave, cheek or rice seedling. I have a CD to listen to and two of these ma words sound exactly the same as the first and this causes me to think that after years of listening to air powered impact guns going off from one inch down, my hearing has been damaged.

I once stood in a school class room in rural Russia in a town that simply is not on the map but is in fact there. I was told that Lenin's brother once worked as a doctor in this town they pointed out the building to me. The children sang John Lennon's Imagine to me. I can't sing either Bob. But news by word of mouth travels at a blistering speed in Russia and as I gave the kiddies a lecture on English I noticed out of the corner of my eye the crowd outside the class room was at least 10 deep with students and teachers. This is my only experience of what it must be like to be a Rock Star even one that can't play the guitar or sing.

The news horrified me today when I found out US troops are in Ukraine training Ukrainians to fight the Russian Rebels. I really don't think that is going to go unnoticed by Putin. All a bit crazy over there at the moment and I think if only the US could send musicians instead of munitions it might have a better outcome.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 03:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir Kirillov wrote: I have to get to this guitar playing sooner than later because recently I started to or attempted to learn Vietnamese and its like this Bob the word "ma" in Vietnamese means ghost, but, horse, grave, cheek or rice seedling. I have a CD to listen to and two of these ma words sound exactly the same as the first and this causes me to think that after years of listening to air powered impact guns going off from one inch down, my hearing has been damaged.

Vladimir, while your hearing almost certainly has been damaged from that kind of long and repeated exposure to noise, that's not likely at the root of the problem you describe having. A great many of the East Asian languages are tone languages and since almost no Western languages use specific variations in tone as a phonemic marker to differentiate meaning we simply "stop hearing" those differences because, to us and in our native linguistic environments, they actually are not different. The wikipedia page I've referenced above actually uses the four tones of Standard Mandarin for "ma" to demonstrate. When spoken at the incredibly slow speed to demonstrate the concept, virtually anyone can hear the differences. The problem is that in real time speaking these tone markings are instantaneously recognizable to people whose languages use tonal rises and falls to mark meaning. Obviously, they can produce those sounds very rapidly, too. The closest thing to tone markings we have in English are the tonal rise at the end of a sentence that's a question and the tonal markers for sarcastic/ironic remarks. Notice that most people catch and make those tonal changes without even thinking about it.

Once, when I was working an IT job near Washington, DC, an my coworkers were from every corner of the planet, one guy who worked with me was Vietnamese. He came to trust me with his questions on English, particularly idiomatic phrases, and I asked him to teach me some very rudimentary words and phrases in Vietnamese. I remember one time when I said something (and I can't remember what) in Vietnamese with the wrong tone on it. He broke into a smirk and then began laughing. When I asked him why, he said something along the lines of, "Instead of saying, 'Pass the chicken,' you said, 'Pass the [insert some colorful word for female anatomy here].' It took me forever to even begin to wrap my head/ears around any tonal markings, which are often on a single syllable, which change meaning entirely.

There's lots of research out there that shows that babies actually stop hearing (as in, their systems stop recognizing) language features that are not salient to meaning in the language or languages being spoken to them. It's fascinating, really.

Brian

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's guitar geniuses that are your 'thang' then check out Seasick Steve. His collection (all of which he plays regularly) include one with just a single string and another made from a pair of Morris Minor hubcaps welded back to back! Interestingly he was a 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' on Top Gear.

Now that Clarkson is history I wonder what might happen to Top Gear in future. It might end up as just another boring car program just like Fifth Gear has. I know the Gang of Three are talking about setting up a new program, but it has to be without The Stig as the BBC owns the copyright on the character.

Prolific User

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian, I will avoid the use of the word "chicken" in Vietnamese when I arrive in Hanoi to head off the beaten path into the non touristy areas. If these people flogged the Chinese, the Frogs and Uncle Sam it would be prudent not to upset them with poor use of their own tongue.

For $30 USD a day I have a translator at my beck and call and that's big bucks considering the Vietnamese government has just raised the minimum wage to $19 USD a month.

I imagine I will be like king billy bunt but I won't be driving as these people appear to be a shade crazier than Russians when they get behind the wheel.

Definitely not a place I will drive the Camargue but strangely a fine looking lass in Hanoi has recently taken delivery of a brand new Phantom which just proves that communism works well with a capitalistic dash.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.165.20
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 08:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richards sometimes physical removed the string or dampered it. He also had guitars made for 5 strings only.

Another guitarist who uses open G is wilco johnson from dr feelgood. He uses 6 strings and damps strings he does not want. Then allows notes to escape.

Ear Training.

This is done by selecting a famous tune and remembering what the interval between 2 notes sounds like. Eg. Somewhere over the rainbow. Some is one note and where is an octave higher. Jaws theme tune is two notes a semitone apart. SMoke on the water is tonic minor third forth and fifth. Or E G A B.

There is a list of tunes on Wikipedia which are famous and ideal for recognition of intervals.

Interval is the distance between to notes.
The interval between E and B ascending is a fifth. And descending a forth.

Its often supposed that guitarist such as Richards don't know music theory. They didn't at first but very soon one cant help but learn the theory.

Anytime someone comes up with something new, it gets added to the theory. For instance most modern music theory books included Jimi Hendrix. I also came across Curt Cobain.

The sex pistols are mentioned as an example of playing out of tune on purpose.

Bach Beethoven and Mozart and others are comprehensively ripped off by modern musicians.

A good example is whiter shade of pale by Procal Harem. It sounds like air of a g string but it isn't.

Pachebel Cannon has been endlessly reworked. A good or bad example of the cannon is I should be so lucky. Kyle Minogue.

A tip for learning guitar is to play one string only to an easy rock roll number. At first any note played in time to the beat. Then find the tonal centre of the number. Then follow the chord changes.
status quo are good for this. Concentrate on getting the rhythm right. A clue is that all boogie rock follows Tonic 4th and 5th. This is the infamous 3 chord trick. Wikipedia have a piece on boogie rock which explains in detail.

Also play first note on a down stroke and the next on an up stroke. It important to learn this.

Also just enjoy the guitar.

If going electric 75% is the amp not the guitar so buy a proper amp like a Fender Mustage 50 watt modelling amp £160 new.

Prolific User

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spaceeba Bolshoi Bob.

Bob "Bolshoi" just means big hence
Bolshoi Ballet Moscow

Spaceeba just means thank you but Russia I well different Bob..

So Ta

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.40.248.194
Posted on Thursday, 23 April, 2015 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also.
The neck of a guitar is not a handle. With both hands off the guitar, the guitar should stay put.

Seasick steve uses junk guitars and diddly bows. He sounds good because he has good amps.

Modern copies made in asia are quite good and often turn up for less than 100 quid.

To assess how good a copy is, is to look carefully at the genuine article
I have a uk made tanglewood kantana a strat copy. Its a good guitar it doesn't sound like the strat but it sound nice. I like Yamaha guitars excellent quality at a sensible price.

Both the Fender stratocaster and the Gibson les paul are overated.

Francis Rossi of Status Quo uses a Fender Telecaster. He said that one fender is much the same as another and he's not attached to his old green one. To him it's a tool of his trade.

On YouTube there are loads of instructional videos for specific tunes.

A mistake often made is not actually knowing the tune. Which is where sheet music is handy. I have never played a tune without hearing it first. I play it over and over.

Sheet music. The rhythm is on the x axis and the pitch is on the y axis.