Battle of Waterloo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Non-RROCA News and Events » Battle of Waterloo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, 05 May, 2004 - 13:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A group in Canberra is organising a public display featuring French and English vehicles on 20th June 2004 at Reconciliation Place which is practically in Lake Burley Griffen below the old Parliament House between 10AM and 2PM.

The organisers are hopeful of getting close to the Citroen people and, given the hydraulic connection between Rolls-Royce and Citroen, take the opportunity to discuss the differences between R-R and Citroen engineering [Moderator's Comment - good stuff given the success of the NSW Branch R-R/Citroen technical session].

The R-R attendees will be putting on static displays including some significant bits from a toasted Spirit now resident in the ACT.

This is not a RROC[A] Club activity and cars on Club plates cannot participate however all interested R-R owners will be welcomed by the participants and Public Liability Insurance has been arranged by the organisers.

(Message edited by david_gore on May 05, 2004)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, 05 May, 2004 - 22:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear me. I put this message here as an invitation to anyone within driving distance of the ACT who might like to attend. I have spoken to David who advises me that the rider he has inserted regarding attendance by RROC(A) members in their cars is at the direction of the Federal Executive. Now David is saying a car on concessional plates may not participate in non - RROC(A) activities. In my conversation with him he agreed, I believe, that if the non RR function was notified in the appropriate journal (L&D, Capital Letter etc)that would be acceptable for attendance with the car. Well I note that the Waterloo function is notified in the ACT Branch Capital Letter so I presume that members on Club Plates can attend legally.

Whilst legal niceties are certainly not to be ignored it would be nice if a more positive response could ensue given that the object is for members and guests to enjoy the cars.

[Moderator's comment - Unfortunately the registration laws governing conditional registration such as Club Plates are not uniform across the various States/Territories and this comment is based on the NSW law which restricts use of vehicles on Club Plates to authorised Club events/direct travel to and from repairers. As it was likely most visitors to this event would be from NSW, this advice was necessary as the event had not been approved as a NSW Branch activity. We will be seeking further advice from all States/Territories regarding legality of the use of vehicles on interstate Club plates in each State/Territory as well as travelling within the home State to an interstate event to clarify this situation. It would be unfortunate if an owner on Club plates was involved in an incident whilst interstate and found the car was not being used legally in that state and had their insurance coverage refused rendering them personally liable for the costs and fines.

Unfortunately Bill did not mention the coverage of the event in the ACT Newsletter in his original post and we are not certain if this is sufficient authorisation for a NSW conditional registered car to be driven to the ACT. My advice was not intended to stop members attending but to err on the side of caution rather than being enlightened after a problem has arisen. This is one of the reasons why a specific topic has been allocated in this Forum for non-Club events
}

(Message edited by david_gore on May 10, 2004)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, 10 May, 2004 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for delay in approving above post from Bill - using this to draw attention to it as it is not appearing under the "Last Day" header

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well a postscript to let all the avid readers of these columns know that Waterloo day in Canberra was a good start to a hopefully continuing function. Given it was 5 degrees C but bright and sunny, I was suprised that there were certainly over a hundred people turned up and nearly as many cars. We fronted with a dozen Crewe samples the earliest being a 1963 S2! A convivial mob, owners of French cars, they appear to be even more cynical that some owners of RR's and B's. Meantime I am aware that one of the sponsoring Clubs organised public risk cover at not inconsiderable expense for which it woould seem they had no recompense. Grrrrrrrr!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: