THe Duke of Wellington and Even Napol... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Non-RROCA News and Events » THe Duke of Wellington and Even Napoleon must be wondering. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 00:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WERE YOU AT WATERLOO?

At 5 degrees Centigrade most humans in these climes hibernate. But Sunday 20 June saw well over a hundred people turn up on the lawns below the Old Parliament House in Canberra, in their cars for Waterloo Day. Hopefully this will be the first of many – the weather notwithstanding. The theme was an interplay between the French and British Marques and I was most impressed at the roll up of Crewe products.

George Shores was first on site as usual with his ubiquitous cooker handing out omelette and bacon sandwiches. George’s Shadow II is of course the prize winner in the appearance stakes having had a complete repaint following last January’s Inferno Day. George was encouraged by Peter Smith in his early white Shadow which seems to be standing up well with its now well settled gas conversion. Peter Smith’s son Darren also braved the icicles and was hard at work in the sandwich factory. Peter and I arrived in the blue Beast ( 1984 Silver Spur in Ocean Blue to those not informed) closely followed by Bill Fleming in his maroon Shadow. Bill is one of those owners to be avoided on occasions since when he achieves success with a repair he becomes an instant expert.. Fortunately on this occasion given the temperature there was no question of grovelling around on the grass to inspect his newly aligned exhaust system (on the Shadow that is!). Ever the man to make his mark however he produced hot tea and home made peanut cookies which were very delectable.

Warwick Grigg turned up in his long wheel base Shadow II also known as a Silver Wraith II claiming it was the dirtiest car there. I challenged him on the spot to that title. We have just had the almost last touches put to our wonderful new garage which meant all vehicles had to be abandonned to the weather. Hence the Blue Beast was emulating a leopard with sun spots. Bob Campbell-Stewart arrived in the former Premier Askin’s Silver Shadow which he has had for many years. I usually vote this car as being the most original chassis of the model in town.

Wayne Wardman arrived in his blue Shadow II (why are there so many blue Rolls-Royces in this country?). This car has a factory fitted sun roof and contrary to some reports it is as quiet as an unperforated model. Wayne’s car has compression problems on a couple of cylinders and as I have two other vehicles with these engines with the same problems we are gearing up to do an old fashioned de-coke albeit chemically. One of these two vehicles is a very conspicuous model indeed and two adjacent cylinders of the eight foul up their spark plugs far too quickly. Clearly it is oil or more correctly too much of it in the wrong place. There are two likely access points; down the valve stems or up past the piston rings. The first can be rectified with new seals and the latter by freeing up what must be gummed up rings. It is all a mystery to me but our great friend from Melbourne, Bob Chapman, is organising the necessary kit and we will have plenty of cars to practice on. It is certainly cheaper and easier that dismantling engines.

Greg Whellum arrived in his Shadow closely followed by Ken Baldwin in his ’87 Bentley Turbo. Ken has just had a visit to Crewe and was very impressed with the immaculate environment in which the new cars are being produced. Returning home he got the message about the day’s event and turned the key after a 2 month idle period and the Turbo leapt into life. I have vague hopes that Ken may grace these pages with an account of his Crewe visit. It is all a bit of no-man’s land to the likes of me these days.

Garry Scorgie then drove up in his immaculate Arab Shadow as I like to call it. A very pleasant yellow, Garry has done quite a bit of renovation and the results are obvious. Coming from Yass Garry is not well known in the Club but we should be aware that he has done some magnificent restoration work on other cars. John Summers finally broke the Shadow flood with his magnificent Bentley S2. I am so relieved that this car is in the neighbourhood since I now have something to look at when I am trying to rebuild my S2 after over 5 years of dismantlement.

And last but not least by any means Ros Crawley sailed in with her 1987 Silver Spirit. This is a relevantly recent purchase and there have been a number of teething problems but she has as they say ‘hung in there’ and can now enjoy the car and rely on it.

In summary the day was not spectacular but was a warm success. The temperature was a bit daunting but given the many other cars present and the friendly environment I hope that there will be many more.

Bill - I suggest it would be appropriate for Ian to comment on this post when it appears rather than incorporating his comments in your post.

(Message edited by david_gore on July 16, 2004)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: