Busy Roads - We are so lucky here Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Busy Roads - We are so lucky here « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Tuesday, 13 October, 2009 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow these roads are busy here. This is the Hume Highway on a trip South from Sydney to Canberra near Campelltown last Saturday afternoon. For those who are not familiar, the Northbound carriageway is 250M to the right. Sorry my speedo is still in MPH. The GPS confirmed the miserable speed in miles per hour.

RHT.

Craig Knight
Experienced User
Username: grum_ck

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 13 October, 2009 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I’m arriving back in Melbourne in a couple of weeks, and might have to schedule a bit of a trip up the Hume – just to check the traffic situation.

Peter Colwell
Frequent User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 14 October, 2009 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I very recently travelled from White Cliffs in far western NSW to the Barrier Highway at Wilcannia, a 100 kilometre stretch of near-new smooth bitumen. We did not see another moving vehicle in either direction for the entire 100 Kms. It was early Sunday morning, but..

Yes, Australia is unique, but then in the US, the trucks all travel in their own lane, everywhere, so they never need to mix with the traffic in the way they do here.

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User
Username: mernon_lollich

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, 16 October, 2009 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter -

Slight amendment about lane use by trucks in the US. This varies with state laws. In California, trucks most definitely use whichever lane they damn well please, and routinely ignore posted speed limits. It's not uncommon for one to pass/overtake another which can take several minutes when one is travelling at 68 and the other at 67(the speed limit is 55 for trucks)! Since California is virtually bankrupt, it surprises me that the Highway Patrol doesn't take better advantage of this as a revenue source! The trucking lobby is extremely powerful over here.

Mernon

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.89.150
Posted on Saturday, 17 October, 2009 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ditto Mernon's comments. And while I don't wish to incur the wrath of anyone in the business, there is an above average incidence of road rage with truckers due to the use of methamphetamine to make long hauls without rest stops.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Peter Colwell
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, 19 October, 2009 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The point I was making is that all over the US, the roads used by trucks are at least two lanes in each direction. The situation we have here, where we often see a B Double overtaking a small caravan on a single lane highway, - does not exist in the US.

In other words, all the US roads used by trucks effectively have permanent passing lanes.

Even if the trucks pass one another and block the lanes, the sucidal situation we have here mentioned above does not exist.

My point is about the road system, not trucks per se.

Bill Payne
Experienced User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 19 October, 2009 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With all due respect, unfortunately we are not blessed with multi-lanes wherever trucks are found.

We have instances of trucks hauling mobile homes up to 12 feet wide using roads with 8 foot lane widths (they do have to have a lead vehicle).

Peter Colwell
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, 20 October, 2009 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not long ago, I followed a transformer being transported along the Newell Highway, which is the main direct link between Melbourne and Brisbane. It had three prime movers pulling and one pushing, with an outrigger on the trailer containing a 'steerer' person. The whole train completely blocked this National Interstate Highway in both directions. People behind had to wait for miles until the train stopped off, and people opposing had to stop and find refuge as advised by the preceding warning vehicles.

My point is best illustrated by the comparison of a major intercity Highway in both the US and Australia. The Newell has very few passing lanes and trucks have to be overtaken when safe and against opposing traffic.

I70, by comparison running across the US, effectively has 100% passing lane.

The key is that it is never necessary to overtake against opposing traffic. The difference is spectacular.

Bill Payne
Experienced User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, 20 October, 2009 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I was on I-85 N of Charlotte, NC. We just had a NASCAR race this past week-end and I had the pleasure of following a 38' motor home as he attempted to pass a semi. After about 3 miles (on level pavement), he finally succeeded. I'll take a truck driver any day over the ill-prepared and ill-equipped part-timer.

I definitely sympathize with anyone having to fight your kind of problem.