DID YOU KNOW? 1967 SHADOW Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » DID YOU KNOW? 1967 SHADOW « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gordon le feuvre
New User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 14 February, 2013 - 07:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Iwas on a 1967 Shadow course at Hythe rd that lasted 2 weeks!!! The "car" we trained on was a floor pan/bulkhead unit with engine/trans/diff suspension attached.this had bolts for attching wheels instead of stud/nuts. Dennis Robinson, the School of instruction tutor told me that R-R had tried these but preferred studs for production., did this survive?
I also,I think remember GM 400 early boxes WITH adjustabe (2 position) torque convertor stator angles activated by throttle position, does ayone remember these??

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Thursday, 14 February, 2013 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting, Gordon and thanks for sharing. I have come across cars that had bolted wheels rather than studs but trying to line up wheel holes with bolt holes and at the same time screw in a bolt with your third hand does pose a challenge. Just getting the rotten wheels onto the studs in the later design is a test of strength, guesswork and luck!

I have also wondered why they dispensed with the 'closed' wheel nuts used on the Clouds - probably cost but then why have longer studs? The LH thread for Left hand hubs was also quaint. Did these really discourage nuts coming loose. There was a wonderful story recently of a customer calling up his repairer complaining that the latter had tightened the wheel nuts on his car so tight that he (the owner) had stripped the nuts trying to get them off. Turns out he was not aware of the left hand thread feature. Typically there was no apology to the repairer.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Thursday, 14 February, 2013 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A fleeting day dream. There used to be a mob that would cut the roof off a Mini, weld the doors shut scallop the door tops so you could climb over them and you then had a very smart run about.

Hmm - it would be a long run about but with care it could be a very smart conversion. There would be a concern however for the medical status of the pundits!

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, 16 February, 2013 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting; the RROC America have a similar unit at their hq in Pennsylvania, which I recall they said was donated to them by RR. It was mounted on a dolly on its side and it had all the hydraulic system tubing as well as engine and transmission in place. The trans was obviously a Hydramatic, not a Turbo 400, though. Very useful for training purposes.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, 16 February, 2013 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although I've never been on one of these training course my local college (RCAT - Rotherham College of Arts & Technology) used to run such courses. Because they often left the loading doors open in Summer due to the lack of powered air conditioning I could see some of the cars they were using for instruction. What struck me was how clean and bright the 'dirty' bits were. I always thought that this would be a poor grounding for a prospective student who would then have to work on cars with stuck/rusty/rounded off nuts, bolts and screws. It's even worse when working with pre-sectioned cars as they would suddenly find that access to the parts they want to work on would require the flexibility of an octopus.

As I've mentioned before: I can only reach the lower rear exhaust manifold bolts by sprawling across the width of the engine compartment and working 'backwards' if not inverted as well. As for removing the heater control valve; I'm not sure that it's even possible without dropping the nuts as they come off the bolts and replacement would be even less so!