Tax on a New Car in England: 1970? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Tax on a New Car in England: 1970? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Experienced User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2010 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know what the tax on a new RR would have been in 1970 in England? I know that SRH9391 sold new for some over 9000 poundsSterling, plus tax. A substantial sum, no? but less than one costs new today.

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2010 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy, I've just googled it. �25 for 12 months, �13-10s-0d for 6 months and �9 for 4 months. This is off a site that sells period tax discs. I can't see it being far out. Regards, Nigel.

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2010 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That stupid squigle should be a pound sign.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2010 - 01:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So, if I understand, a new-car buyer paid an annual tax, not a one-time tax like sales tax, is that correct?
Was it based on the car's price/value, size, or just 25 pounds Sterling for 12 months?
Right now in my area of the US one pays about 7% to 10% of the net price at time of purchase. The State of Louisiana gets 4.5% and the rest goes to the parish (county) and town/city if you live in one. Some states have an annual property tax based on value, Texas for example, some do not; my state and local government bodies do not have an annual tax on a car.

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2010 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy, sorry, it is an annual tax just to drive on the Queens highway. Supposedly to fund road building and maintenance. Hence, road fund licence.
Also in 1970 we would have had purchase tax. This was a one off tax of about one third added to the price of the motorcar. Regards, Nigel.