SRH18294 Backlash between acceleratin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » SRH18294 Backlash between accelerating and decellerating « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel A Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.191.203.94
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2008 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

It has seemed an eon since my last naive search for advice but this has been due to everything going so well.

I don't know whether its my imagination or whether something is progressively going wrong but just lately I seem to be more aware that as I change from decelleration to accelleration (or vice versa), ie going around a right angle bend, I have a noticeable clunk from somewhere in the transmission/driveshaft area.

Can anyone help me with a possible cause?

If its age, then that's fine, but I never really noticed it when I got my car a couple of years ago.

Perhaps as I have been restoring my car I am becoming more picky as more and more problems are overcome. I have previously swapped the drive shafts and they were fine, so its not wear there. Neither can I turn the drive shaft manually when I climb under and manipulate it.

I am somewhat at a loss but am not convinced it is wear and tear.

(Message approved by david_gore)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel A Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.191.202.148
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2008 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI all

Problem has been solved. The bushes on the triangular frame that runs between the diff and the forward crossmember were deteriorating badly thus allowing for movement up or down when accellerating or decellerating.

Those with older cars who may have similar problems, don't panic. Its not the gearbox or the diff. Its simply a couple of rubber bushes.

(Message approved by david_gore)