Wash -Wipe 20,000 series car Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Wash -Wipe 20,000 series car « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2013 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The windscreen washers work and the windscreen wipers work, but the wash wipe facility does not ! If the wash /wipe is operated ,only the washers work. Any suggestions please. The car is a 1987 Bentley 8, UK spec. chassis 22684
Thanks Mark

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, 25 November, 2013 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just found an earlier posting on this problem,looks like another ECU is required!
Mark

Graham Burn
Experienced User
Username: graham

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark, several of the "ECU"'s fitted in our cars are little more than a control circuit operating a relay and very often all that's required is to clean the relay contacts, not sure if this applies to the wiper unit but when some of my interior lights ceased to come on when a door was opened this was the problem and other than a bit of time to take the unit out, open it up and clean said contacts cost nothing to fix
Graham

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2013 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, true, but

more often then not a transistor or two inside the ECU is dud. Still very simple stuff and easily repaired. It is always a good thing to replace an aged transistor while you are at it regardless.

RT.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, 09 March, 2014 - 03:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have replaced the two MPS6534 transisters with BC327, now the intermittent wipe does not work and neither does the wash wipe. I cannot find a replacement for the zenner diode (TO3C24 ) >Any suggestions ?
Mark

Graham Burn
Frequent User
Username: graham

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2014 - 19:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark, I found this information on zeners, don't know if it's of any help as I'm no expert on electronics!
application/pdfZener
IC-ON-LINE-1.CN_bzt03_4145607.pdf (165.3 k)

Regards
Graham

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, 11 March, 2014 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark - try the sites below:

www.mouser.com/Zener-Diodes

www.nxp.com

www.xxl-sale.co.uk/Zener-Diode

Peter

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, Peter,
Thanks for the help. I have ordered new semiconductors and will see if this sorts the problems.
Mark

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

Just make sure you get the new Zener Diode the right way round !!!!

Peter

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Because both the washers and wiper work OK separately, the problem is likely to be the circuit that provides a delayed 12V from Terminal 2 of the Control Unit to energise Relay 3 which in turn switches 12V via Relay 1 to the slow speed brush of the wiper motor.
The Wash/Wipe switch on the steering column provides an earth to energise the washer pump and an earth on the Light Green/Black wire connected to the Control Unit. This second earth energises the wiper motor.
It is likely that this second earth is absent and it would have been better if this had been checked before changing electronic components.
It is too easy to damage circuitry by changing components without good reason.

John

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John,
I have an earth connection at terminal 2 when the washer is pressed, but I have less than 2 volts at terminal 2 at standby.This is what suggests that the control unit may be faulty.
Mark

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, 13 March, 2014 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Fair enough.
Because the circuit incorporates both ON and OFF delays you really need a circuit diagram (or draw one from the unit) to determine where the fault is.
The voltages are odd. On standby Terminal 2 should be 0v via Relay 1 winding to ground, as the output transistor should be cut off. With the Wash/Wipe switch operated Terminal 2 should be 12V.
Did you replace the transistor connected to Terminal 2 ?
I see that the Control Unit (UD70070) is available on Ebay for around 65 GBP.
Good luck.

John

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, 13 March, 2014 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Both the Wash/Wipe and the Intermittent Wipe use the Control Unit to provide the necessary delays so they are both affected by the fault.
Sometimes these old hand assembled circuit boards can have poor connections at the solder points on the back of the board so as a final resort I would use a soldering iron (preferably temperature controlled) to quickly melt the solder at each joint to repair any bad connection.

John

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, 14 March, 2014 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, success ! I replaced the transistors with identical units ;(new old stock on ebay),and Zenner and all now works. A worthwhile excercise and the total cost to replace all of the components on the board would have been about £5. This compares with approx £200 for a new unit. If changing the tansistors and zenner had not worked, I intended to change all of the components.
Mark

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, 14 March, 2014 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good work !