Turbo R Shifter Problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R Shifter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Hart
New User
Username: bill_hart

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 00:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First, let me thank those who responded to my earlier post under another thread. Problem: Car started normally and gear selector moved as usual. No gear selection, however. As advised, checked fuse (A2) and found it blown. Replaced fuse and shifting was normal. Restarted car and problem had returned. Thought fuse had blown again, but that was not the case. Reinserted fuse and everything was normal again, and remains so. One of life's imponderables. Will report any new developments.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

You may be truly lucky and whatever caused the fuse to blow will have been a transient event. They do happen. I know I've certainly replaced lots of fuses over the years where that was the extent of the repair without any recurrence of whatever caused it to blow in the first place.

If, however, you do have a return, my suggestion is to look to the connector from the gear selector stalk in the cabin to the actual electric gear selector on the transmission/gearbox as your first likely culprit.

Brian

Bill Hart
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since my last post on this topic the shift problem has been intermittently recurrent. Sometimes the car would start and proceed normally, other times it would start, but refuse to select a gear. Finally got a guru to look at it and he found that after pulling the key out slightly the gear selector would work. He says it is a faulty ignition module which remains in start mode, preventing gear selection, unless the key is moved as indicated. A new module is around %500, plus installation. Is there any alternative?

Bill Hart
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 19 July, 2015 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hope I'm not being a pest with the problems on my new (to me) Turbo R 55371. I beg your indulgence. In my last post I said the shifter would not select gears unless the ignition key was pulled out slightly after the car was started. That is not quite correct. Further observation revealed that the ignition key module is not automatically (spring loaded?) fully returning to RUN from START, and requires a few degrees of manual counter-clockwise key rotation to complete the cycle. Without that intervention, the starter continues to run (disengaged) and the shifter won't select gears. This seems like a minor mechanical problem which may not justify the rather large expense of replacing the lock assembly, unless there are other potential consequences I don't foresee. Does anyone have any information or opinions on this?
Thanks.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, 19 July, 2015 - 16:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill,

Maybe this is not fully accurate, but some of this parts are really unexpensive second hand. Flying Spares and E-bay have enough of them, as these modules are common to the whole product line.

Best regards,

Lluís

Bill Hart
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, 20 July, 2015 - 00:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Lluis. Good idea. I didn't find anything on ebay. Have emailed Flying Spares.

BH

Bill Hart
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 25 July, 2015 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As suggested by Lluis Gimeno-Fabra I queried Flying Spares about a replacement ignition switch. They said the problem, as I described it, was common, and reparable by replacement of a small plastic part in the switch assembly. Cost for the part, including shipping to USA, $10.45, compared to $450.00 for a new switch assembly. This site is invaluable.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Saturday, 25 July, 2015 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

It would be invaluable were you to post additional details regarding the part and document what you do, exactly, to remedy the problem.

That's how our knowledge base is built.

Brian

Bill Hart
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 25 July, 2015 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will do, Brian. Probably will get the part some day next week. After receipt and installation, will report to the best of my limited ability as a mechanic.

Christian S. Hansen
Experienced User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, 25 July, 2015 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and we all love clear photographs, so if possible, document not only in writing, but photographically of the parts and their orientation to the assembly, diagramatically, or with references to shop manual pages, what you are doing. "picture worth 1000 words". It is all in the name of documentation as it provides the guidance for the next guy who encounters the same issue and moves us all up the learning curve together. This site is the greatest, and while I always think "hope I never have that problem", if I do, the resources are invaluable. Best to you...