1960 Silver Cloud (engine problem, sp... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » 1960 Silver Cloud (engine problem, sparks with oil) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alessandro Ramirez
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 47.63.112.217
Posted on Monday, 27 April, 2020 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,

My engine has compression and runs good for about twenty minutes. After that, it loses power and is not able to climb a very slight slope.

After diagnosis, I have been told that oil is coming into cylinders so once spark plugs are wet the car start to fail and need to be replaced.

When it starts it emits white smoke until it gets driven for some minutes, and smells so bad (like a poison that cannot be breathed).

I currently cannot afford to remove the engine in a professional garage so I was thinking about doing myself because I have plenty of time. I wish it only need a valve job and rings so my questions are: can I remove the pistons and rings without taking the engine out of the car?, any chance to remove the carter under the car if i need access to the pistons (as it seems there are a lot of parts and bars under the carter)?

Please feel free to let me know any suggestion. You will be more than welcome, thanks in advance.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, 28 April, 2020 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, if you type "steve's house of speed " into YouTube you can see a full engine rebuild of a cloud, it might be of help.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, 29 April, 2020 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alessandro

if you have white smoke from the exhaust after warm up this would indicate WATER in your engine and a possible head gasket failure.

I would start by removing the spark plugs and looking at them and also undo the top on the oil filler and see if you have any white sludge there.

Carry out a compression test on all cylinders.
If you find a problem here remove the cylinder head (heads)first and then you will be able to check the gasket and valves etc.

This applies to the V8 or the straight six engine

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 611
Posted on Wednesday, 29 April, 2020 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rebuilding an engine or pulling heads is not for an amateur.
If there is a headgasket issue there will be coolant bubbling in the radiator tank, exhaust in the coolant and one or two sparkplugs that come out clean due to "steamcleaning" by the coolant in the combustion chamber.
Diagnostic protocol will sort this out. Buy a UV dye for the coolant and a cheap UV flashlite and check the exhaust for coolant trace.

You may have worn valve stem seals allowing oil to seep into the cylinders, requiring new stem seals (posiseals). This condition is apparent when starting a motor from cold and will not show up during leakdown test.

ALESSANDRO RAMIREZ GAMEZ
Yet to post message
Username: alessandro_rg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankīs for your quick answer. I rebuilt a Lincoln Continental engine before, and I saw Steveīs house of Speed. The Silver Cloud underbody is quite different so thatīs why I was asking if sump (carter) is posible to remove whithout removing the engine from the car, just in case I need to remove the rings only (supposing liners are ok). I Will do all those test you mentioned above before anything else. Some other friends have suggested that maybe one carburator is not working, also the oil breather screen might be plugged and block crankcase vapor building up pressure and forcing oil past the rings. I Will start removing cylinder head and see. Thank you

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leak down test would show up piston blow by,
cracked cylinder head, gasket failure also valve failings and more.
Remember to lock crank when pressurising each cylinder in turn.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Saturday, 02 May, 2020 - 02:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BTW have know the brake servo to leak brake fluid that then gets sucked in to the engine when driven causing white smoke and miss fire for a time!
It does also stink.

Scrap the above as I now remember the servo was mechanical.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: