Rear brake assembly Bentley S1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Rear brake assembly Bentley S1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredrik Selin
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 91.150.53.137
Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2008 - 00:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear colleagues,

There is a mysterious spring in the rear brake assembly of my Bentley S1 1955. The spare parts list calls it "HOOK, spring, eccentric" (UG.1171) and it goes onto the eccentric adjusting pin (UG.1166) which is affixed to the brake carrier plate and the rear bearing housing and which carries a compression link UG.864 (no problem there).

The big loop of the hook sits nicely on the inner part of the eccentric adjusting pin. The hook has a horisontally protruding pin, which should face inwards (to the carrier plate) . There seems to be a hole in the carrier plate assembly, into which the pin of the hook should be placed. However, the hole is slightly larger than the pin and the fit is not perfect. Could it be the wrong hole? And if so, where do I find the right hole?

What is the function and purpose of this mysterious hook?

Prior to disassembling the rear brakes, I took a picture, which shows the hook pointing upwards and with its pin quitre apparently in the hole I have described above.

I am afraid that under adverse circumstances the hook may come loose from the eccentric adjuster and wreak havoc in the rear brake assembly.

Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars are designed to make your head ache....

Fredrik Selin
Hanko Finland

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2008 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Fredrik, if it's the part I'm thinking of . . .

it goes through the hole in the shoe and then clips under a loop of metal wire behind the hole. The hook needs the nearest bit lifted upwards and then hooked down and in to get it through the loop. Do this end first, then clip the bottom in. R-R kindly out a small loop down the other end to help grip it without slipping.

The clip once through the hole and then on the wire tensions the spring. Once tensioned it pulls the shoes to the handbrake mechanisms.

I'd advise only taking one side apart at a time so you have a pattern to put it together again :-)
(assuming it was correct to begin with!)

Just had a quick look at the parts list to see what parts you were talking about. 1154 goes on last once all the other linkages are on. 1171 clips on the groove of 1161.

1155 then clips into 1171. The loop should be at the top.

(Message edited by paul_yorke on 12 December 2008)

Fredrik Selin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2008 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul

The brake assembly is correct and has been all the time.
The reason why I dismantled the brake assembly again (I did a big repair myself last year) is that I wanted to inspect the outer rear wheel bearing and so had to remove this and that and before I could do anything 1171 dropped out of position and I started thinking about it. I only dismantled the left axle but I checked on the other side and the position of 1171 is exactly the same.
It is only the spring 1171 that is an enigma for me - what is its function?
(Luckily the bearing is OK)

Thanks for your help once again

Fredrik

Fredrik Selin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2008 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Paul
but no, this is not the spring I am talking about. What you mean is the vertical spring with the loop and that one is no problem. R-R suggests gripping the loop with pliers but I found using a hook (actually an old screwdriver, which I have bent 90 degrees at the end) much more convenient. As a matter of fact, this instrument can be used for many other purposes.

If you have a Spare Parts List please look at UG.1171. It appears in the explosion picture J3 of the Spare Parts List and is numbered 22 in the picture.

I am still confused.
F

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2008 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

52 clips over part number 8

the loop sticks out at the top.

54 goes through the hole in the shoe. from the outside towards the backing plate and hooks into the loop on 52.

It sounds like you have it in the correct place.

I think it sounds like you have it right except for 54. Where have you got that?

Regards, Paul.

Fredrik Selin
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 91.150.52.32
Posted on Thursday, 18 December, 2008 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Paul

Everything is ok now.

F

EMIL
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 108.78.27.68
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 02:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adjusting Eccentric UG1166 & Spring UG1171 Have A purpose, The Spring TENSIONS The Adjusting Eccentric Which Adjusts The Compensator Linkage
Which Moves the Brake Shoe Up Against The Drum.

It Has a SQUARE End Which Is Adjusted On the Back Of the Carrier Plate.

The Hole On the Carrier plate Keeps the Spring From Moving, If the Shoes Are Not "Tweeked" With This Adjustment The Brake Lining Will Wear On An Angle--usually With One End SLOPING To The Other.

There Is a tool In The tool Kit With A Small Square hole On It--That's The Adjusting Tool.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: