Cloud Grille (circa 1956) - is it gen... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud Grille (circa 1956) - is it genuine? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Silver
Experienced User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, 04 January, 2009 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've come across a Grille for sale - said to be circa 1956 Rolls Royce.

These are the only pictures I have. Looking at my 1955 Rolls Royce, the pictures aren't showing the soldered/welded "RR" logo I have. Possibly it was removed when the Spirit of Ectasy was.

Any opinions welcomed.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Sunday, 04 January, 2009 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It can hardly be a genuine one. Count the vanes: it is two short. See also the folded-over front of the shell: that is completely wrong. The seams between the top and the sides look a bit out at first glance. The proportions look quite wrong too, but that may be due to the photo.

I suppose it's on the dreaded Ebay like all other junk.

R.

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User
Username: mernon_lollich

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2009 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In addition to Richard's comments, the side panels are much too wide on the lower half and have holes drilled which shouldn't be there. Perhaps made for a Bentley to RR "conversion"? I'll attempt to attach a photo of the correct shell.

Mernon
LSJF72

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2009 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will try again!

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2009 - 03:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry - my trying to post photos is a lesson in frustration. The picture WAS of my grille off the car.

Mernon

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2009 - 13:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't give up on us Mernon. I'd love to see your picture/s.
I'm hoping the grille being sold is not a reproduction being passed off innocently as a genuine.

I'm just the sort of 'noob' who wouldn't know genuine from repro.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2009 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mernon,

In your photo editor, reduce the picture to (width by height) 640x480 pixels, that's 8.89 x 6.67 inches or 225 x 169 millimetres, postcard size. Save it under a new name to upload. The file should be 100kB. It will upload and post then.

ps: the genuine R-R grille will bolt onto a Bentley. The only misfit is the bonnet line for all cars before the Silver Spirit - SZs. The SZs are the first Crewe cars where the Bentley and Rolls-Royce models have identical bonnets. Read, the bonnet on an SZ doesn't really fit either a Bentley or a Rolls-Royce properly. It is a compromise between the R-R hard-chine and Bentley curved-seam bonnet line.

RT.

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 07 January, 2009 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mernon, don't give up - fight the I.T. barrier. I'll phone you over the internet, wherever you are, and help you get your pics up.

I only pay 1.2c a minute, or AUD0.72 an hour. I think you are worth that.

(Message edited by colsilver on 07 January 2009)

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, 10 January, 2009 - 15:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sold on eBay for AUD795.00.
Hope the buyer has done his/her homework and is happy, whatever be grille's history.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: