Cloud 1 rough at low speed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud 1 rough at low speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne Wardman
New User
Username: wayne_wardman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 08 May, 2008 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have an issue with my Cloud I.

She continues to run roughly at slow speed under acceleration, after a back off of the throttle – eg after cornering.

I have had her timing checked and the carburetors adjusted by an expert.

Her plugs look like she is running too rich, but leaning her off has not helped thus far.

Suggestions most welcome

Wayne Wardman

Mark Taxis
New User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 09 May, 2008 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Wayne
Check the inlet manifold gasket, any leak here will result in rough idle and poor acceleration
Rgds
mark

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, 10 May, 2008 - 12:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wayne that is good advice. There are a number of vacuum operated things around the engine compartment which feed off the intake manifold. Disconnect the lot, block off the holes and see what that does?

Wayne Wardman
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2008 - 14:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, Mark and Bill.
I will look at this avenue and post an update
Wayne

Mark Taxis
New User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2008 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wayne
I found this article on testing for vacuum leaks, Hope this helps
"The best method is to go to the Auto Parts store and get a can of Starting Fluid..This is basically Ether..This is a very volatile substance that is easily sucked into a leak and causes a dramatic change in engine running condition With the car at idle spray carefully around the base of the carb or throttle body, at the area where the manifold meets the head, around vacuum hoses and any connections either below the carb base or after the Mass Air or Air Flow Meters…Any noticeable change in idle speed or quality will indicate a vacuum leak"

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 973
Posted on Saturday, 14 June, 2008 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark/ Your advice brought back memories. I had an HR Holden Premier years ago which developed strange idling effects which I did not realise might have been air leaks. Anyway I was washing the engine down with much pressure and suddenly the idling went smooth! Turned out to be a loose intake manifold.! The Cloud having a number of vacuum operated gadgets in the heating and air con areas is a candidate for leaks. The servos ie the vacuum tanks that push and pull the flaps and turn the water on and off, have diaphrgms in them which rot and allow air to leak through which upsets the idling. It was a fool of a system since when travelling in hilly country with a decent load and the foot down on the go pedal, the available vacuum at the manifold rapidly depleted and all the little gubbins closed and you froze!

Wayne Wardman
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 26 January, 2009 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark and Bill

The tardiness in posting has been due to one issue following another...

The upshot is - taking apart the inlet side revealed a few problems structurally.
> All fixed

Then she ran ultra-rich despite my following the workshop note to 'a TEE' (Bill!)

So I looked at the spark side - including new ign module. Making up original copper leads (a Bosh high tension lead had contracted away from the distributor spike and may have been struggling with the consequent gap)

New coil > no help

So feeling concerned at plugs lasting 20ks!!! I took her to the local Dynotune..

Voila - their gas analizer produced the perfect result.

She now runs as she should!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: