Cloud spring gaiters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud spring gaiters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mernon Lollich
Experienced User
Username: mernon_lollich

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, 18 December, 2007 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all -
Can anyone give me advice on the following: the gaiters on my springs are pretty tatty, but am not ready to replace them at the moment. The car was pretty thoroughly serviced a year ago by George Colgett's shop in Hayward, California, including new shackle bushings etc. Should I be lubricating the springs and, if so, how, and with oil or grease?

In a couple of places where the gaiters have come loose I plan to secure them with ties or tape for the time being. Any advice will be welcome and appreciated.

Mernon
1958 Cloud LSJF72

Jeff Jones
Experienced User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 31 January, 2008 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mernon,
I've been waiting for someone to advise regarding spring lubrication etc as it's something I'd like to know as well. The only info I can find was from one of the "Flying Lady" reprints which states "Rear springs: spray with WD-40 if dry." Very brief!! Any further advice would be appreciated!
Cheers from Down Under,
Jeff

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, 31 January, 2008 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff The FL advice was pretty much spot on. These springs unlike the Mk VI predecessors were not lubricated as far as I know but had nylon spacers at the ends presumably to minimise wear and avoid sqeaking. The catch with lubricating springs is that you almost nullify the damping effect from the friction between the leaves. I have seen other cars break their rear springs that were lubricated post production no doubt because the dampers were U/S. Remember that of all cars the post55 models needed good rear damping to stop bum bounce! Hopefully you can replace the nylon inserts if they are very worn otherwise get the good old WD40 out which will minimise corrosion and quieten the odd squeak.

As to the gaiters, they really are nice to have but in my opinion an expensive bit of dressing up. They are still made by Wefco which has been taken over by another firm.

I am glad you were able to refer to the Flying Lady. Perhaps you may like to try Tee One Topics issue 57 page 822 which may be of interest!

Jeff Jones
Experienced User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 03 February, 2008 - 18:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Bill. I've yet to take the gaiters off my cars yet, so I'll be interested to see what lurks beneath them! The gaiters are in good nick, so hopefully that is a good sign...
Cheers,
Jeff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: