S2 Switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » S2 Switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,
Has anyone come across a switch located on the (LH) drivers side (S2) just above the cubby box and what its function could be...looks as a true R-R switch but no reference in any manual. Have found two different examples (attached) with same switch.
Many thanks

S2/

S2

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Felipe, the switch you are referring to is for the heated rear window. Those extremely fine wires cast into the back window are the heater element wires. The switches were first located on the parcel tray (apparently), but then someone figured out that they would be better in reach of the driver.

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually I now see you are referring to another switch under the end capping rail. Do you by chance have a map light on the driver side also? Under the passenger side capping rail is located the map light just above the glovebox. The driver's side was not standard, but sometimes they are there as an option. Maybe that switch is for that. Would be easy if the bulb was blown to not know.

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Felipe, I also see you have separate front seats, but no cubby box doors or power windows. Did you obtain a copy of your car's history book from the Hunt House? I obtained mine very early on in my car's ownership and discovered that some parts the previous elderly owner had paid to replace, like the left rear damper, were actually the originals. It's easy to tell because the serial number of almost everything is listed in the book. The poor lady who owned my car was regularly "milked" for work that was never done. A real shame for both her and the car. The car was in Phoenix AZ at that time. I bought mine from her estate and imported it into Australia. It was originally delivered to a London Stockbroker and went to the U.S. in 1984. It came to Australia 25 years later in 2009.

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your comments David...actually the second S2 photo I couldn’t send since it's too large and couldn’t figure out to reduce it...but both cars don't have any map lamps such as my later SCIII on either side and activated with panel light switch pull out...strange and annoying as my switch was removed and the other example identical found on the internet.

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...further to your other comments...correct, no doors on cubby box nor power windows (which actually is quite pleasant and the quality of the mechanism is superb) also my heated rear window switch is on the parcel tray...have always received complete work sheets from past models but the S2 strangely had none from the Hunt House yet sent me information about first owner which I already knew and very little more (but still charged me)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2886
Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe,

No problem posting the photo - just email the full size image to me and I will process and post it on your behalf.

Email address: drh14434AT{@}yahooDOT{.}comDOT{.}au [just delete the capital letters and brackets for the actual address]

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 904
Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe, to make certain the switch is original RR item see if the wires going to it are fabric/cloth covered over rubber. If the wires are simply plastic colored wires then its likely the switch is not RR originally.

But if the wires are cloth covered and still have a colour trace then go the the cars wiring diagram with a good magnifying glass and look up the colour of the wiring then in the diagram trace it from the switch to whatever electrical unit it goes to.

David Gore

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe has forwarded the photo below of his car for me to post on his behalf. Given the quality of the image, I have used my moderator privileges to post it as a larger than normal image to show the detail:

Felipe

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David...and Vladimir, that's a good point but unfortunately have no access to the internet example and mine was removed by the dealer when collected and no one seemed to know anything about it...so will continue to be a mystery.
Curious that there’s another S2 which has the same switch…and in future navigating will be alert to see if any more have the same…

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, 20 May, 2018 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Isn't the image above curious! I see that car has the old style blinker switch as per SC/S and the newer style both on the same car. Obviously one of them does something else, or, the owner had the column mounted stalk retrofitted. Having driven a friends Bentley S around town, I have to say I much prefer the column mounted affair that I have in my SCII. Maybe that could have happened with a very early SC/S II. Felipe, do I remember correctly that you have the Marchal lamps on the B pillars? Can they be switched separately if you do? I do love a good mystery BTW. You also mentioned earlier you have the heated rear window switch on the parcel tray. Does yours then not have the chrome toggle just above the steering column near the petrol flap release?

Martin Webster
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 101.230.11.95
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Cloud 11 had a horn mute switch in a slightly different position Felipe which dulled the note of the horns for town use and was fitted from new and appeared in the build details. Try sounding the horns and operate the switch simultaneously to see if that works.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore

Post Number: 2895
Posted on Sunday, 20 May, 2018 - 19:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mea Culpa,

After I posted the image with the incorrect advice the photo was of Felipe's car, he advised me this was not the case as he found the photo elsewhere.

This accounts for the differences observed between the two cars mentioned in respect of his actual car.

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, 24 May, 2018 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all...the above first photos on my S2 which is initially advert from the dealership, but on collection no switch and no one can explain !
The second photo is one I found from another dealership but couldn’t give me information about its function...
The horn idea is spot on, just found in 'special features' horn muting switch. And reference horns, mine have the two correct wind tone horns but on the RH side and a mini horn on the left, which could have been added later…will take notice next time which horns sound…and possibly see if wiring goes to the empty whole where switch was removed…
Mine has the column indicator stalk only, and Lucas fog lamps which are fog only, and not the factory dual fog/indicator version, hence the (again, special feature) added winker lamps on the front wings similar to the continental models..
Lastly, (first photo) my S2 has the chrome toggle just above the steering column near the petrol flap release…I wonder what that’s for if the parcel shelf switch is for heated rear window !

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, 24 May, 2018 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I made reference to the wonderful book by author James Taylor, "Original Rolls-Royce & Bentley 1946-65", which if you don't have it is worth every cent for the information it contains. The attached PDF carries a low res image of part of pages 115 and 116 and may shed more light on the switch issue - or may not. I see the rear window demister switch is mentioned.
application/pdfSwitch Details
Page Extract 46-65 RR and B Taylor.pdf (186.7 k)

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a copy since years but forgot about it...thanks for the reminder !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: