Policeman's heel, oh the pain Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Policeman's heel, oh the pain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2017 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Things may slow down a little! have been told that I had "Plantar Fasciitis" this is in the left heel, wow the pain is something else.
Thought I had gout but cider or glenfiddich whisky seems to help, the more the better.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2017 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We should all have a drink with you in spirit Patrick.
It will help you, and I know it will help the rest of us

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2017 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had this several times. Doctor sticks a long-ish needle into your foot loaded with what seems like quite a lot of cortisone and wiggles it around with great abandon much like the dentist does with a small needle and anesthetic - but without the benefit of the pain relief. At first I needed the alcohol spray (cold), which they use to numb were the needle goes in. However, in time I got to where I didn't care and just wanted the needle, e.g. to get it over with. Had this done maybe a half dozen times in my life. Never fun. Anyway, plantar fasciitis won't get better on its own, Patrick, so to the orthopedist and get the shot.

Long needle and a large load of cortisone
- Long needle and a large load of cortisone

While I've also got video I took with my phone, unfortunately I don't believe I can share it on this forum. Anyway, the point of the photo isn't to torture you but so that you know what's coming to help you wear your stoic face. You know, praemonitus, praemunitus.

Last tip; if your wife (or girlfriend) is with you, forego the numbing agent and be sure to not wince because the pity sex afterward makes it totally worth it.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2017 - 12:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOL

Pity sex.

Good call John.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2017 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow thanks, all sounds good but my Doctor did not give the cortison treatment the full cure.
Instead he gave a have a number of instructions ice, glass, and a scarf towel to name a few.
Oh the pain.
If this does not work then a trip to a hospital that has some sort of high Tec fangled high frequency ultrasound to treat the heel.

Now there's a thought park the old girl round the back and take the new model to the hospital maybe!
the car of course.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, 08 April, 2017 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I tried rolling my foot on frozen cans of margarita mix. Didn't work but the margaritas later were very nice. Yes, the scarf as well (or towel in my case), e.g. to help stretch by pulling up on my toes. Didn't work and didn't have any margaritas left. Stretching exercises? Didn't work, either. Ultrasound? Waste of time. Cortisone? Works a treat - every time. Last from 6 months to three or four years. Depends. Anyway, you're in the clutches of a doctor who wants you to suffer through all the conservative treatments with this pain for the next six month. My advice? Try another doctor because in my experience, this doesn't go away with the conservative course. Believe me, after seeing that needle the first time all the things I'd tried previously flashed before my eyes before, resigned, I bit the bullet and let him stick me. No regrets.

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 02:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, one thing I forgot to mention. Do you wear sneakers (running shoes, trainers) on a daily basis? If you do, consider switching to a hard-sole shoe. This seems counter-intuitive but believe me this can make a huge change in your life (for the better) when you suffer heel pain.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, thanks for the tip but have always wore full leather shoes.
Doctor thought maybe it was caused the wellington boots!
Told me I should pay over £100-00 pounds not £25-00 pounds for a pair.
The pain seems worse the more exercise I do.
Up the ladder today repairs to the aerial after the winter gales.
Oh the heel pain when I touch down on the ground is something else.

The TV has the best picture now so I can settle with a drop of the good stuff.
Now that sure eases the pain.

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've learned when climbing ladders to try to always use a pair of boots for the added support due to the thicker sole. However, a) I'm a butterball these days compared to my fighting weight, which makes a difference and b) I'm always forgetting, or thinking, I only need to go up this once and it won't matter. Then I pay the price of sore feet (though not necessarily plantar fasciitis pain, which comes with no rhyme or reason. Anyway, after you get your injection (yes, I'm making an assumption), take it easy for a day or two and you'll enjoy such blessed relief you'll decry not going sooner. Oh, and a drop (or even two) of the good stuff helps in my experience. By the way, have you been prescribed orthotic inserts? I was and these seem to help but basically mimic a stiff sole and were of principal use when wearing trainers.

Finally, we're fortunate to live within 35 miles of the antennas (and of course, FL is flat as a 9 y/o girl's chest) and what I did to eliminate the issue of dealing with winds on the television aerial is to use one designed for 150 miles and mount it within the attic. Works great and sees through the wood structure and shingles as if they weren't there. Did this about 5 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2017 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, going to
having a steady rest day to day.
After all the pain for weeks I arose to have no pain [so far] for whatever reason.
Have not had the needle!

As for the attic aerial it is a no go due to the surrounding high hills of Corton Denham with the reputed sites of King Arthur’s Camelot, with views over the Somerset countryside to Glastonbury Tor etc.
It is said that “on midsummer’s eve the hill turns clear as glass and inside can be seen Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table”.
Never worked with me, took a cider supper with friends up to the top.
After time went by the only thing the hill did was spin, got into trouble with the wife as the dissent did not go smoothly with the friends but they thought it was a hoot.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2017 - 18:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The cure maybe for the pain use a ladder to stretch the tendons, aerial repaired.