You get what you pay for? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » You get what you pay for? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am fussy, there, I said it! I like cars (watches, shoes, women amongst other things) to be in good order, dent and scratch free and with lots of shine... maybe I was a Magpie in a previous life :-) Anyway, having done the rounds of lousy tradesmen I believe I have a select band of professionals dedicated to making me happy... and nothing else :-)

So I have found a really good painter (of the automotive kind, not interior decorator kind :-) )and he has done quite a few bits on the Big Green Dollop and everything he has done has been absolutely first rate. Not cheap, but not expensive either. A neighbour has a Range Rover which he clumsily interfaced with a fence post with a bit sticking out which made a dent and a scrape that was not going to 'T cut' out! The owner was whinging and moaning so I suggested I got Rick (my guy, no one elses :-) )out to see how much.

Rick duly turned up, said it was pretty bad but could be repaired at 'mates rates' for £350. I know that it would have been perfect and no trace of the damage would have remained.

A few days later, the Rangey has gone away to a different bloke to be repaired as Rick was 'too expensive' and this chap was doing it for £200 all in. Fine, no skin off my nose, just trying to help...

The car has been back for ages and has not been used, just parked on the drive, but today, it was out on the road with the ex damaged door/s facing me. I thought something didn't look good but I was busy playing with the Mazda so didn't bother looking until later, when I did, well...

If I had dipped Chesters (my fat useless Basset) tail in a tub of filler and paint mixed together then promised him food if he wagged his tail in the general direction of the Range Rovers door, he could not have done a worse job! It is appalling! Orange peel, the filler has sunk, and it honestly looks like the chap has used a roller (not 'our' kind, the type with foam you load with paint)to get the final coat.

If it was my car, I would cry as the dent looked so much better! Like I say, from across the road and at a glance, it looked 'wrong' but at a few feet away, it is stunningly bad.

So, he saved £150 but he's made the car look a thousand quid worse than if he'd done nothing at all. You do get what you pay for I feel.

You?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i am like this with tradesmen I hate paying out for half job.

An honest dent looks better than a bodge bondo job. We all have dents happen but we dont all botch repair. Often one finds that the time spent cocking up and trying to put the cock up right was more than doing it right.

Chester is a good name for a Basset. I like bassets good solid dog.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
I couldn't agree with you more.

I used to get annoyed when friends who know I have been in the automotive game for 39 years, still don't ask for help or advice.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when your neighbor speaks to you about his car, and you deliver the "you get what you pay for" or even better still the "I told you so". That would be quite satisfying.

I've had relatives pay $300 a tyre for Chinese imports, $1200 for a windscreen, $800 for a basic car service, and a salesman workmate of mine is paying $1000 for a set of front & rear brakes on a Mitsubishi Mirage this weekend.
All because they have always used these guys, and don't question anything or even ask anyone, (or me) if it sounds right.

What annoys me most is they ask me after the work has been done.

My sister in laws Hyundai Tucson needs 4 tyres I noticed over the Easter weekend, her hubby (who can't be told or advised on anything) was like "oh yeah, I noticed them ages ago" I will get them done!!
I said, well let me know, and I will find you the best price off a tyre supplier I know.
That won't happen, and they will just get replaced, I can't wait to see what he pays, and what rubbish they have sold him.

Give your hound a cuddle for me.

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would give him a cuddle but he is asleep, laying on my lower legs and snoring happily (dreaming of food no doubt) and I hate to disturb him when he's quiet as it happens so rarely! Instead, I shall cuddle Pheebles (my beloved girly black Lab) who is laying along side me and holding my hand (paw?).

I was going to start a thread dedicated to the 'trades' who we get to work on our beloved cars, but then forgot as I am senile/insane, so this will have to do!

So, post details of trades, good or bad.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 22:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I grew up with Labs, beautiful dog.
Boy do they love to eat!!

Good thread anyway mate, I'm sure there will be a few good trade stories.

Old, senile, insane. Sounds like the rest of us English car owners

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Sunday, 23 April, 2017 - 03:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my son was teasing our cat with a chicken leg. The cat flew through the air snatched the leg and shot through the back door. That was sons dinner.

Dogs keep your feet warm.

Old senile insane, can I join this club if I am stupid as well.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Sunday, 23 April, 2017 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Of course Robert,

Being that if you are stupid as well, makes you one of the higher ranking members mate.

Sounds like your son won't tease the cat with food again Robert.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, Patrick and Robert,

Labrador Retriever:Canlearn over 104 voice commands
Will hunt and retrieve for its owner
Will Love and protect its family
Can be trained to sniff out drugs
Can be trained to guide the blind
Can track down missing persons.

Cat:
Craps in a box.

Mark, who loves cats, but can't eat a whole one.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's awesome Mark