Darwin or Bust Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » RROCA News, Events and Booking Forms » Darwin or Bust « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 621
Posted on Monday, 10 April, 2006 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just had word that the mad mob heading North from the very sucessful Rally at Orange, have reached Cobar. Only casualty so far has been a certain S3 which burst an upper radiator hose!!!

Peter Colwell
New User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2006 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kate & I enjoyed being part of a convoy of six cars on the run from Orange as far as Dubbo, and home. It was quite a unique feeling driving through a couple of the small towns en route.

Upon arrival home I was speaking to the local Mercdes Benz dealer, who asked me what all the Rolls-Royces were doing in town. The cars en route to Darwin will certainly generate some local interest along the way. They will have a ball.

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2006 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HELP PLEASE

If anyone is in contact with the Overlanders; would they please see if they can arrange an occasional progress report from one of the participants.

Mea Culpa [blame me for those who never did Latin at school] - I meant to arrange this whilst at the Federal Rally but became preoccupied with all that was happening.

All Roads lead to Orange

sign

Foundation Members Barry Gillings, Margaret Gillings and Paul Samuels cut the Jubilee Cake

cake

A Varied Selection

selection

Some of our Oversea's Visitors

Overseas

(Message edited by david_gore on April 11, 2006)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 622
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2006 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I am doing just that but my correspondent so far is not answering his phone.
My concern was Ivan who had a leaking steering rack,
And talking of busting. I had the fuel pump fail 12K from Parkes.!!!!!!!!!!!

spur on truck

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2006 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SITREP (as they say in the Army)

They have reached Peterborough at 1449 hrs today and were in Broken Hill (which they couldn't mend) this morning. Two steering racks are failing and one car had a flat and then discovered the spare was flat also. Really what can I say!

Peter Colwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2006 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One would like to think that very serious attention would be paid to things like tyres, prior to heading north from Port Augusta. Even in this day and age it is still very remote country out there, and while danger to life and limb is not an issue, the cost of attending to any breakdown, say between Coober Pedy and Alice Springs, can be horrendous. It can be like breaking down in Sydney and having to pay a tow truck to come from Melbourne.

And the weather will still be on the very warm side, especially north of the NT border.

There is now a well-policed 110Kmh speed limit between the main highway and Ayers Rock, which was introduced I was told, after a German tourist in a rental car was killed by driving on the wrong side of the road....makes sense to me..

Peter

David Gore

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2006 - 13:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

As one who has driven many thousands of Km in the Territory over the years; I am concerned with the possible lack of preparation by some of the participants. A failure to proceed anywhere between population centres let alone road houses [fuel/food/drink outlet in the middle of nowhere] is a major problem.

With regard to the speed limits on the Stuart Highway south of Darwin and between Alice Springs/Ayers Rock; I was told by a Hertz rental manager in Alice Springs that these were the consequence of too many Japanese tourists renting cars and having no experience of driving above 80Km/hr - you can imagine the consequences when they tried to drive at 140/160Km/hr not knowing the distance the car would travel if they reacted to a situation as they would in Japan. At the time there were two "roll-over" write-offs in the Hertz yard both caused by Japanese drivers steering too late into a corner and running off the road at high speed.

Driving on the wrong side is an occasional problem however there is usually enough open space for you to see the problem and slow down/take evasive action until the other driver realises they are on the wrong side of the road. I shudder to think how the tourist on the wrong side of the road feels if a road train is heading towards them!!!

(Message edited by david_gore on April 13, 2006)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2006 - 11:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SITREP 2

As at 1148 hrs Friday 14 April they are at Cooper Pedy and having a rest day. They are all still going. The steering racks are holding. One is leaking through the boots indicating main seals failing and t'other is leaking through the pinion seal on the valve body. Petrol is still about $1.40/L highest price so far at Dubbo at $1.50/L!!!

Today they are staying at the underground Motel with the cars parked outside on gravel. The latter is being churned up by the local indigenees in their Holdens doing wheelies aroung the Cars!

Tomorrow they are off to the Alice!

BBC

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, 15 April, 2006 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

picture one
Here we are on the Red Centre Walkabout. We Had a couple of days in Coober Pedy, an amazing place! Tonight is Erldunda which has an internet cafe and a petrol station. I will visit the petrol station tomorrow. Don't want to overdo it. One steering rack has left this morning for home voluntarilly. The other is still consuming oil erradically. This morning my Shadow decided to spring a leak at the front edge of the bottom radiator tank. The bit you can't see. Being Easter and Coober Pedy the one radiator man in town was on holiday. Luckily I had a tube of sealer in the tool box, so have soldiered on with the radiator cap loose and a bottle on the overflow. So far so good but another 1000ks of driving before Alice Springs. I will be holding a self help group on Silver Shadow radiator removal in the Alice next Thursday, you are all welcome! Well it's time for the backscratcher award and a few ales. bye for now.

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User
Username: jeve

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, 15 April, 2006 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just arrived back from overseas yesterday, so hasn't taken long for me to get Overlander fever and look up the Forum. My parents are driving their 3 1/2 litre, 1936 Park Ward Bentley and I heard tonight that all is going well.

The Overlander is now on the junction of the North -South Highway and the road to Uluru,(Ayers Rock, and Kings Canyon. About halfway in time although not in distance. Spoke to four participants tonight and unsurprisingly, all have said that it is the camaraderie which has been the highlight. With approximately 40 participants,there is still new company at dinner.

Cooper Pedy was fascinating and 'out of this world' with its miles and miles of 'dirty great holes looking for opals'.Only the main road was tarmac with lots of dust everywhere else. The underground houses and churches were intriguing.

There had been rain from time to time and it was a long and tedious drive from Port Augusta to Cooper Pedy. Typical on inland Aussie roads, there were eagles supping on road kill including a dingo at one place.

Will write more when comes to hand.The above contributors are discussing mechanical aspects.
Bye, Jeanne Eve.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 990
Posted on Saturday, 15 April, 2006 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let's toast them ! Play this on your media player (Windows Media Player for example).
audio/mpeg
The Overlanders.mp3 (74.2 k)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 991
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2006 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you want to hear the song in better (but still restricted) quality, just click on:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/Richard_Treacy/PaintCodes/TheOverlander.mp3

David Gore

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2006 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome back and we missed you at the Federal Rally.

Your reports on the various R-R/B events have always been greatly appreciated by our forum users and this time you will share the experience of being one of those who are unable to participate .

Thanks Richard for the toast to the Overlanders - the epitome of the cattle drovers who became known as "The Overlanders" was Sir Stanley Kidman whose story is briefly summarised on the link below:

Stanley Kidman 1

See also:

Stanley Kidman 2

Stanley Kidman 3

Stanley Kidman 4

The full route used by the original overlanders is shown on the following link:

The Kidman Way

Why am I interested in this? My home from 1960 to 1962 was the town of Hillston on the Kidman Way and large overland stock movements occasionally came through the town however these were rapidly being replaced by stock trucks.

(Message edited by david_gore on April 18, 2006)

Margaret Gillings
Experienced User
Username: margaret

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2006 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patty Aiosa has been SMSing me for the soon-to-be-regular column "SMSs to the Editor" in London & Derby. Here are her reports so far.
application/mswordOrange to Darwin SMSs
OrangeToDarwinSMS.rtf (7.1 k)

Peter Colwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2006 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see that Patty 'hopes the Rock is dry'. But actually to see the Rock in a thunderstorm is a very rare treat. The waterfalls only last a very short time, but are spectacular...as is the light show over the desert.

Peter

Phil Dickinson
Username: phantoms

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2006 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just heard a rumour that a SCIII has failed to proceed in a serious way (seized?) and is being shipped back to Sydney.

Does anyone know any more about this?

Phil

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2006 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rang my parents again last night to catch up on latest at Tennant Creek, where there was a riot in town the night before. Background noise indicated bibulous evening underway after daily backscratcher awards. Group spirits are high. Details are scant but yes Phil, a car is being shipped back with a blown gasket after overheating at King's Canyon.
Apparently Alice Springs was enjoyable which included a visit to the Transport Museum with its great display of transport in Northern Territory e.g. road trains were bigger in 1930's and 40's than today, a car which used a woodburner on its roof. The Overlander cars were parked for display but only a few people turned up to look.( Not sure if was advertised or had any media coverage).
Redfaced I must self-correct and say that my parents are driving their 1953 James Young R-Type and not their ealier model. It's lack of airconditioning is uncomfortable in the Inland's heat, unlike the more modern cool cars.
The journey is being written up by the backscratcher recipient of the day, I guess for Praeclarum.
That's all folks for the moment.
Cheers, Jeanne.

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 23 April, 2006 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just spoken to a couple on the Overlander who reported that they had a great boat ride on Katherine Gorge today with many of them disembarking for a walk between Gorges. Meanwhile Overlander organizer principale, Robyn H, is constantly updating her weather information to check Cyclone Monica's progress because their itinerary was to go into Kakadu tomorrow. A decision will be made tomorrow morning.
Two comments I heard related to (i) changes in vegetation on this trip from the plains where nothing grows to the far horizon and (ii) the poverty of the local Aboriginal population.
Overall everyone is travelling well.
Cheers, Jeanne.

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2006 - 10:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Heard this morning that the Overlander is spending another day in Katherine and waiting on news re Cyclone Monica. Rivers are rising in Kakadu. Decision will be made on whether to try for Darwin or maybe head south to avoid bad weather tomorrow.Spirits and chatter - decibels are high but disappointment if Darwin is not reached.
Cheers, Jeanne.

Phil Dickinson
Username: phantoms

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2006 - 10:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We just received this email from Liz & Greg Newton......

The Bentley Diaries continued .....................

Special Cyclone Edition 2 - Special Cyclone Edition 2 - Special Cyclone Edition 2

Day 20 - Tuesday - Anzac Day

Well off to a good start for Anzac Day. We thouhgt after speaking to the rellies in Darwin that the cyclone was grading down so it was now safe to drive on - as long as we got there before about 1pm when the centre was due over Adelaide River and then to Darwin. So a quick pack of the car and off to town to get petrol- but as you can imagine Anzac Day in a small town is a big affair. The streets were lined with flag waving locals as we filled the car just as the band music started ready for the street parade. Greg said come on let's get out of here before the parade. So off we went up the street in the Bentley as the police blocked the road off and amid throngs of people claping and waving their flags. They obviously thought we were leading the parade so I obliged and waved like the queen to the loyal throngs.

Too late to turn back now as we headed up the track [Stuart Hwy] to Darwin. The weather was inclement to say the least with lots of rain and wind gusts up to around 8okph. About an hour out from Katherine we started to see hundreds of caravans heading south in the opposite direction- maybe they knew something we didn't. Anyway, press on regardless we did. The rain got heavier- a few leaks but the old girl was moving at a rapid pace skirting the edge of the cyclone before it crossed our path. The worry was that we would be blown off the road or a tree or similar would be blown onto to us.

We arrived in Darwin safely with little time to spare with the city still under "Cyclone Warning" and we went straight to cousin Sarah and John's for a much needed Anzac day /Cyclone party.

Arrived at the hotel about 5pm ready to relax with the epicentre of the cyclone just passing directly over the Crown Plaza - our hotel.

All the best

Liz and Greg

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2006 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All 42 participants and all cars bar one,( blown gasket, detailed in previous post) arrived in Darwin for the final dinner as per their itinerary last night having given flooded Kakadu a miss. My parents' Bentley R had its generator commutator skimmed in Katherine whilst waiting for their rainy final run to Darwin.(I have no idea what I am talking about here so David or Bill please help me out)
Congratulations to everyone.
Some are driving home, others flying whilst organizing cars to be trucked back.
With the sparse information on this Forum -(I will have to train a future Overlander to use this site - but may not be as exciting as visiting Ayers Rock then rendezvousing with a cyclone). Looking forward to the Praeclarum write-up and to seeing Harry H's (from W.A.)magnificent photos.
Cheers, Jeanne

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2006 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations to all that participated.
What an intrepid group they are.
Glad that everyone arrived safely and take it easy up there folks.
It’s still a long way back.

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 01 May, 2006 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just another quick update. The last time I left you I was heading towards alice springs with a leaking radiator. The rock was spectacular and we were able to see it in rain with water cascading down and in glorious sunshine.I climbed it, walked around it and flew over it in a chopper. Kings canyon was equally spectacular and I walked around that too. I managed to successfully sort the radiator out in Alice. Daly Waters pub was another highlight with the best historic atmosphere you are ever likely to find in a pub. With Harry Heuchen carrying all his camera gear, in 10 minutes we were able to produce a glossy A4 print of the cars and people standing outside, signed and framed and now hanging on the wall for all to see! You've heard about the storm chasers in Katherine and the gorge. Kakadu was wiped from the Itinery (and almost from the map). Darwin was great with lots WWII and cyclone history. A Northern Territory member Peter Anderson 'found' us and made us very welcome. He even arranged an escort with some friends in AMG Mercs and a Porsche, back to Adelaide river for those making the return trip. 17 of us arrived safely at Tennant Creek last night. I said Goodbye to those heading towards Mt Isa today. They had a challenge ahead as the road was under 0.5m of water at Camooweal. An entrepreneur has a tilt truck waiting and is transporting cars across at $100 each! I have travelled solo today and am back at Erldunda. I will make my way to Adelaide by Wednesday. I covered over 700kms in 6 1/2 hrs including all fuel and lunch stops, I also detoured to Alice Springs airport to see the elusive Silver Ghost 32EE in the glass case at the terminal. The Shadow is happy at 140 km/hr. It is fantastic watching the country side pass by looking down those flanks across the spirit of ecstacy in air conditioned comfort. I could have kept driving for another couple of hours.
I was hoping to visit the car museum at Birdwood on Friday if any South Australians are interested. Jim Cowin and others?
Sorry if this is a bit rushed but I am racing the internet clock! More when I get back to my computer.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Sunday, 18 June, 2006 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a brother who lives in Darwin, with responsibilies throughout the Northern Territory, and also in parts of Queensland and Western Australia. He rang today, and mentioned that he passed the fleet of Overlanders while he was travelling South to Katherine. The first he saw in the derestricted speed area was a surprising blur, presumably the Continental GT at 295km/h, followed some time later by the most impressive fleet of vehicles ever witnessed in the Far North. Press coverage was widespread in the tiny but increasingly important Capital. The locals were mightily impressed.

Well done !

Peter Colwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In last few days an academic Queensland University report has, - among other things, - recommended imposition of speed limits on the Outback highways of the Northern Territory.

Now anyone that has travelled there knows that;
1. The avererage tourist speed is around 120Kmh, not 200 or more.
2. Imposition of a 110Kmh limit will not slow anyone down, but merely add an additional hazard to travel. Ie. speedo gazing. People who have travelled on unrestricted German autobahns know the incredible feeling of safety and freedom that comes as the speed rises, versus the awful rising feeling of dread and horror as speed rises when in a restricted highway zone here.

First its the big fine, then arrest, and finally "I will be on the news tomorrow"...

I have made submission to the appropriate Government officers in Darwin on this, in effort to head off the imposition of inappropriate limits.

To this end, I would urge people to keep mum about how fast they have travelled in the Northern Territory. I was appalled some time ago when a motoring journal featured an article on a group of sports cars at full speed there.

To back up my argument, the Ayers Rock road has had a 110Kmh limit since 2001, and it has the worst open road accident record in the NT, with 21 people killed since then. If an animal pops out while they are looking at the speedo.....

Peter

David Gore

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

Your advice re speed in the NT is very appropriate and it appears the anti-car lobby are now targeting the NT to achieve their long-term objective to get us all to ride push bikes.

I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the accident and fatality statistics by State/Country of Origin of the driver involved. It is my understanding that a very significant number of the accidents are caused by overseas drivers especially from one country with very low speed limits to the North of Australia.

In my opinion, this is just another instance of a bureaucratic "band-aid" restriction to solve a problem associated with driver incompetence/bad training/no renewal testing once a licence has been issued that might prove the bureaucrats/"do-gooders" are completely out-of-touch with the problem.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, 21 June, 2006 - 05:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darling. We are far too slow. Only a miserable 290 km/h. Please hurry up as we are running a little late, and still only just approaching Darwin due to the cyclone.