Two privately owned Shadows for sale ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Past Ads » Two privately owned Shadows for sale in USA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marek Pruszynski
New User
Username: marek

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2006 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Comes a time when one must sell the things he loves:
I'm looking to sell my privately owned Shadow and Shadow II that are in USA. Both are "no issue" cars, the former having thick history wallet and documented 85,000 from new.
The only reason I'm selling is that I'm coming "downunder" to join you guys in July (now, now don't all go and emigrate from Australia all of a sudden...I'm not that hard to get along with!) and will be looking for another Rolls/Bentley (or two) to buy once settled. The only reason I'm not bringing these cars with me is that the '66 is LHD and as such figure will never be worth that much in Oz. Although I had intended to bring the SSII, with all the import rules, duties, shipping costs and other negative info I've received, have decided to give it all a miss and sell up here in the US, or will work with buyer worldwide if they wish to take on shipping hassle.
Please contact me at RollsRoyce_SilverShadow@yahoo.com if interested,
Thanks for your time.
Marek

'66 Silver Shadow

'66 interior

Shadow II

SS II interior

(Message edited by david_gore on May 15, 2006)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2006 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Marek,

I would not be leaving your magnificent Shadow II behind under any circumstances. Importing the car into Australia should not be a problem as it is old enough to come in under our customs exemptions for old/classic cars and Australian compliance should not be too great a problem given the relatively large numbers of this model imported from the UK and Hong Kong in recent times. The only onerous requirement is for steam cleaning the vehicle on arrival due to our quarantine regulations. I trust one of our contributors who has had some experience with importing cars may be able to be more informative than I.

Marek Pruszynski
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2006 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David
Thanks for complementing my SSII. I've waited a couple of days hoping that someone with import experience would in fact add comment. You make vehicle importation sound so easy, exactly what I had thought! But since getting family members in Australia to enquire regarding such, I've had information directed my way:
I've been told I must pay GST and Luxury Tax (why LT?) and as the car is not 30 years old it will be subject to import duty (whatever and however much that is?). Maybe because, as technically I've not owned and used the car abroad (here in US) for more than a year (in fact I've owned it for three but never registered it during restoration).
Fact is I had intended bringing the SSII with me in the first place, together with one of my later model and everyday use Land Rovers (which are for sale too now it seems) that I've owned, used, registered and can prove insurance on if need be for over 6 years, but recently I find that although I'm allowed import the LR duty free (not GST free presumably), I won't be able to register it because it's left hand drive (and less than 30 years old)! Sheesh! I really can't believe that there's such a rule, to have it converted is just not worthwhile. Any ideas how I can get round that one? Northern Territory I'm told allows LHD, I don't care it won't have resale value, just want a realiable and known commodity avaliable for me to use as soon as I arrive.
So...it looks as though the lot end up staying here in the US...and I need to find buyers quick! If I can sell the lot and buy a Corniche or some other rarer model Rolls/Bentley that's over 30 years old, then maybe worth bringing that and paying what I'll owe. I'll still have to find an everyday LR when I arrive though.
Stressed out....
Marek

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 12:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Marek,

It appears your informants have not done their homework properly and have based their advice to you on the Customs webpage - see link below:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

More specific information is in the "Importation Guide" and "Valuation Guide" which I have uploaded to the Forum and you can download them from the following links:

application/pdfImportation Guide
importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf (109.1 k)

application/pdfValuation Guide
importguideValuation.pdf (27.5 k)

Main points are for cars under 30 years old; the import duties are:

Customs Duties: 10%
GST: 10%
Luxury car Tax only applies if the car is worth more than AUD57000.

For cars over 30 years old; the import duties are:

Customs Duties: Nil
GST: 10%
Luxury car Tax only applies if the car is worth more than AUD57000.

The current Australian market price for a Shadow II is approximately AUD15000 to AUD40000 depending on ownership history, condition and colour/trim combination.

It is possible to register LHD vehicles in NSW as detailed in the following fact sheet:

application/pdfLHD Registration
LHD Vehicle registration NSW.pdf (42.4 k)

Hope this helps and this encourages you to bring your vehicles with you - we need to stem the loss of collectible vehicles from our country.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2006 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it helps i have used with success Wallenius Wilhelmsen lines for the shipping of cars around the globe.
Shipping costs are very reasonable.
I used the row row ship as i heard of some bad probs with the cars inside the containers.

Marek Pruszynski
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 25 May, 2006 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much for the valuable advice David and Patrick.
It seems therefore that my late model LHD Land Rovers will be impossible to bring over, and I may have some more consideration with the Shadow II even though it's RHD as it's less than 30 years old.
I appreciate the shipping info...I'm checking into it. I'm wondering what the problems were with containerised vehicles?
I'll leave both cars on the market for sale while I weigh up the pros and cons...ideally I should bring over a pre '76 RHD, and have seen a Corniche here that I may consider if I can get some positive interest in either of mine, so interested buyers: I'm considering offers! I'd let them both go very reasonably just replace with the one convertible.
Thanks a lot for your efforts chaps,
Look forward to possibly meeting up with you Aussies in the next couple of months.
Marek

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, 26 May, 2006 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Marek from memory many years ago it was to do with the closed container with humidity and heat change causeing probs with the car paint and trim on the long ocean trip.

John Budden
New User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 26 May, 2006 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have shipped a Cloud from Australia to Thailand and back, a Range Rover from Australia to Lesotho, back to Thailand and then Australia in containers with no problems.
I have shipped a Pajero from Japan to Fiji on a roro with diesel dust and salt and scaped sides.
I would have no hesitation in recommending container but make sure it is tied well down.
In either event remove all tools!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, 27 May, 2006 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John interesting, as i can only say that the ro ro ships are cheaper and the last car a prototype very rare that i shipped in was in first class order like all the new imported cars from many parts of the world.
Containers for me never and as it seems for all the car manufactures as well.

Marek Pruszynski
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 28 June, 2006 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for all the input guys, valuable information that I've taken into consideration.
Just to let you know that SRX1327 (the white '66 Shadow) has just been sold, so I still have the RHD Shadow II avaliable. I'm still looking for an interested party to buy the car, preferably here in the US. Following a miserable outcome to my listing on Ebay, I am entering the car into a local Classic Car auction over the June 30-July 1 weekend in Cape Giradeau, Missouri (y'all come down y'hear?).
With a little less than a month before I land on Aussie soil again, I may just consider bringing her along if the weekend proves to be a total faliure. I'm somewhat unimpressed how little interest good Shadows seem to bring here in USA.
So thanks again for all the good advice, thanks to Michael in QND too if you're reading this, for your offer to help arrange shipping...I might just take you up on that.
Anyone with an interest in this car, and/or my last remaining Land Rover...contact me quick to get a bargain, before I wrap it up and send it all off!
Regards,
Marek