1967 MPW 2-door soft-top for sale. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » 1967 MPW 2-door soft-top for sale. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2022 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a friend with such a car in red with a white top, which he thinks he would sell because it gets very little use - so little that we have just had to strip all the calipers and free the pistons and replace occasional rusty unions.....

Everything works on the car but it is "Condition C" when judged by RR standards. It's driveable in every respect, and has the usual effect on bystanders when it drives by in the sunshine with the top down. It is not a "restoration project" but needs lots of "attention to detail" - like rechroming bumpers and tidying the roof fittings and woodwork.

The car is in Wells, Somerset, England.

Any interest or ideas on what it is worth. They come up for sale so rarely that there is no reliable guide, I think. Or am I wrong?

Alan D.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2022 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

The price is virtually impossible to estimate as this car is a classic "either you want it and will pay whatever it takes to acquire it" or "not prepared to pay the costs involved in restoring it mechanically with the additional cost of respraying/reupholstering it to the buyer's preferences".

A possible impediment is the vehicle has the older 6,23litre V8 engine which may reduce the purchase price compared to the more potent UK delivery pre-emission control 6.75litre engine with the 9:1 compression ratio. Another consideration is the transmission as to whether it is the old GM fluid coupling Hydramatic or the later T400 torque convertor 3 speed transmission.

This engine with the T400 transmission was fitted to DRH14434 [1973 build] and I loved its "get up and go" performance especially when properly tuned with maximum advanced ignition timing and high-octane fuel before engine "pinging" occurred using maximum throttle.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2022 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the insight, David.

This car (1967) has a 6.23 litre engine and Hydramatic transmission - both the less desirable features, but no emission controls. That means no extra pipes around the carbs and no weakener device etc. That's a bonus.

The body is in good condition with no obvious troubles - I haven't looked too closely, we've been up to our armpits in DOT4 and grease (for pumping the pistons out).

Alan D.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4092
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If I was in your position, I would be looking for a 6.75litre V8 with a T400 transmission from a pre-1973 UK delivery donor car to install in your car. This would have have the 9:1 compression engine and no emission controls.

When properly set up and tuned accordingly, this engine really "gets up and bogies" when enthusiastic driving is desired.

Under no circumstances would I use any emission-controlled SU carburetted 6.75litre V8 due to their inherent performance and tuning issues. This would be a case where the cost and nuisance involved in fitting a later EFI and catalytic converter engine instead would be justified.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: